Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2009 Montero

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Default 2009 Montero

I am now on my 4th Montero - taking them up to 150,000 plus miles before replacing them. As a development consultant who does 35,000+ miles per year I am often off-road in the woods, quarries, gravel pits and construction sites. My Monteros have never failed me either off or on road. They are probably the most underrated, underappreciated and undermarketed vehicles I have ever seen. I'm at 130K miles on my current 20th Anniversary edition & have had no problems other than normal maintenance. I'm still on original shocks and exhaust and they appear to be in good shape. I'll need to replace my Montero in 2010. Of course they haven't been shipping to the US for several years now. Any chance of them being reintroduced? I'd lay odds that, if the emissions issue was OK, one of the diesels would sell well here. I any event, is it possible to buy a US spec one. I'm in Massachusetts.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:06 PM

the reason they arent here is due to the cost of re-engineering them to meet the new rollover regs.. They didnt sell enough to be cost worthy.

the rumor was they were gonna rebaged the endeavor with the montero name, but that seems unlikely now.
So its doubtful you will be seeing a new montero in the USA anytime soon. Unless you wanna import one from one of the hundred other countries that still gets it.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:28 AM
Default 2009 Montero

Thanks, I would consider it. My dealer doesn't seem to be able to figure it out. Do you know any resources for importing?

Old 02-25-2009, 03:32 PM

Agree with you on the best kept secret comments.

Importing a non-federal car is near to impossible unless it fits into a very narrow exception for special interest limited production vehicles - which Montero's don't.

My advice would be to find the lowest mileage '06 Montero on eBay or elsewhere (while there are still some low mileage ones around) and store it until your '03 dies. SUV prices are low right now.

Ron

Old 03-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Default 2009 Montero Limited

Hi all
In case you are interested, Montero Limited 2009 is sold in Mexico. As other ppl have posted, I do not know if it meets US requirements to be imported into the USA. I have a 2009 Montero Limited, and I am very happy with it. When time comes and if money allows, I would like to trade it for a new one.

Saludos desde Mexico

Joel

Old 03-09-2009, 09:49 AM

What was the US equivalent of pricing?

Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 PM

Not sure about Mexico, but here in Kuwait a 3.8L V6 5-door version of the Pajero goes for $26,750. It has features such as a 3.8L V6 (269 bhp) with MIVEC, 5 speed tiptronic INVECS-II transmission, SS4-II (ActiveTrak), ASTC, locking differentials, HID projector headlights, fog lights, electronic climate control (front and rear), in-dash 6 CD and MP3 player with 12-speakers and a sub (Rockford Acoustics), DVD player for back seat passengers, power leather seats, sunroof, sat nav, LED illuminated sidesteps, mirror-mounted LED turn signals, heated and electronically folding power mirrors, info centre, parking sensors, steering wheel mounted audio/climate controls, side airbags, etc. It's a gorgeous SUV in a different class now.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:49 AM

have you checked the Outlander at all?

Old 03-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Default Montero

I looked at the Outlander. It's too small and, frankly, boring. The closest things to the Montero, in my opinion - considering price as well - are a Honda Pilot and Toyota Forerunner. I like the Honda but it really is not built for off road and the Toyota is too coarse. A Landcruiser would be nice but no truck is worth that kind of expense. Finally,nothing British is worth looking at because the quality and reliability continue to be awful - along with the high prices. What's left that comes close in dimension & price point is a Ford Explorer and reliability concerns me again. I'm on my 4th Montero with each going 150K+ miles before I get another one. My 2005 is at 130K now & will likely go to 200+K since there's nothing wrong with it that ordinary maintenace can't handle.

Thanks

Old 03-10-2009, 02:08 PM

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I wouldn't call the Outlander "small and boring". It isn't as big as a Pajero/Montero, because it's a crossover. I had the pleasure of owning a 2008 2.4L with MIVEC, and it was one of the cars I deeply regret selling off - but I had to due to personal circumstances. It's extremely fun to drive, and even as a 2.4L offering, was fast as sh*t off a stick and handled like it was on rails - quite far from boring. It was also quite capable for light off-roading.

I realise everybody's needs are different when it comes to choosing a car, but the Outlander is quite a brilliant CUV.

Last edited by Skiddy; 03-10-2009 at 02:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 Montero