Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

3.5 mm AUX input jack for Montero to play MP3 player or iPod

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Default 3.5 mm AUX input jack for Montero to play MP3 player or iPod

Hi all,

I have a 2003 Montero Limited with Infinity sound and I would like to add a 3.5 mm AUX input for an iPod or MP3 player. I have noticed that there are a lot of posts on this topic all over the internet, but I have been unable to determine the best way to add this option. Two things are worth mentioning up front:

1. I realize that a new aftermarket head unit generally is the best option, but the aftermarket head units distort the Infinity system. I had one installed previously and it made the sound quite flat / dulled compared to the Infinity receiver. I had the same issue in my 2007 Outlander with the R/F system.

2. My Monty did not come with a CD changer, so I am not sure if my head unit has the CD2 or AUX function. When I press and hold the CD button, nothing happens. I ordered another one on eBay that supposedly had this function, but I could not get it to switch over either. My plan was to use the 13 pin input to plug in a 3.5 jack, but it is not clear that this will work.

So, does anyone have any advice on how to get an AUX input set up? If you have photos or links, I would be overjoyed

Thanks!

Aaron

Old 10-26-2014, 07:39 PM

Unfortunately, you will have to go via FM transmitter. No aux in the oem infinity head unit.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:32 PM

I did find a solution from GROM Audio that seems to be working okay, but you have to have a head unit that will go to DISC CHANGER mode. It plugs into the disc changer slot and gives you a 3.5 mm AUX jack.

Car Kit Interface Aux MP3 Adapter iPod iPhone Android Grom Audio MITS02A3 | eBay

Old 11-04-2014, 12:30 AM

How do you make the system to go to DISK CHANGER mode?

Old 11-04-2014, 12:48 PM

I am not sure that all of them will switch over, but the one I bought on eBay had the numbers U091 on the face.

Probably worth mentioning that it did not change over unless the GROM was plugged in and powered-up. I know that some of them will change over without anything plugged in, and still others will not change over at all. No idea why these differences exist.

Also, if you install the GROM, you will get really bad static (ground loop). To eliminate this, you need to ground a wire to the head-unit from the ground wire on the cluster of wires that goes between the head-unit and the GROM box. Took me a while to figure this out, but now it works great!

Old 11-04-2014, 01:56 PM

Great info. Thank you

Old 01-25-2015, 11:42 AM

Just installed the Grom kit on my '01 Montero. It is incredibly simple - one plug for the back of CD player, one wire i had to splice to "hot with key on" wire and that's it. The system treats the attachment as CD changer and I have a AUX jack now. Worked flawlessly. I'm impressed.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:18 AM

Hunter - did you totally eliminate the ground loop / feedback? I still have a bit on my unit and am curious to know if you found a way to improve upon what I already have. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:15 AM

alssaron, I do not have any feedback on my system. I also did not have a ground connection in my kit. My kit came with a Grom module and a vehicle specific pigtail. The pigtail had a two plugs and a single wire marked with 12v that was connected to only one side. I've connected that wire to one of the wires in the radio harness (hot in run) and plugged the round plug into the CD player. That was it.
I'm not sure why you are getting the feedback issues. I was looking at the reviews and trouble shooting and it seems like some of the European vehicle radio systems require grounding lead instead of positive feed. If you don't do that it will cause feedback. I wonder if you have a wrong vehicle specific plug? Did you try to contact Grom people? Perhaps they can help.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:13 AM

Okay - I will take a look and see if I did something wrong. My system is Infinity, I am assuming yours is as well? Grom people did not have much to say about the feedback when I asked.

Quick Reply: 3.5 mm AUX input jack for Montero to play MP3 player or iPod