Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

3rd gen Montero Paint Color - Black?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 02:51 PM
Default 3rd gen Montero Paint Color - Black?

I am considering purchasing a third gen montero (20th Anniversary edition). I have found one in great condition that is black, but I am a little worried about that color. Most cars look best in black (when clean), but I don't think that color looks best on the Montero for whatever reason. My other concern is getting it all scraped up and the scratches showing through. I feel like Silver is the best looking on top of not showing scratches as well. I realize this is a frivolous question, but I guess where I am going with this is would it be worth holding out for a nice condition silver, or is the black fine.

What are the community thoughts on the best color? Gold/Silver/Black?

Old 09-18-2019, 08:49 AM

My initial thoughts are:
Gold is kind of old person looking
Black looks a little gangster
Silver is a good balance

The above being said, I've never seen a Black Montero in person. It may "show better" in person than online. I want to get the Montero to keep long term, so don't want to jump into one... but I am also aware good condition/low-mileage Monteros aren't exactly plentiful. Can anyone comment on how black looks in person?

Old 09-18-2019, 09:46 AM

I think Montero looks good in any color. Mud on Black will look stylish too Yes, you'll have to keep it washed more frequently, since dust will "ruin" the look, but it is still a Montero...

You can get a TurtleWax and "hide" the minor scuffs and clear coat scratches. I'd be more focused on the mechanical condition. But that is just personal preference.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:12 PM

Fair point. The black grows on me the more I consider it. Realistically, it isn't going to be offroad so much where I should be too concerned. My wife has a Black RDX (that never goes off road) and it has a ton of small white scratches from god knows what, so I suppose it's inevitable.