Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   93 Montero SR complete newbie need help please (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/93-montero-sr-complete-newbie-need-help-please-39739/)

ukiltmybrutha 06-18-2011 10:32 AM

93 Montero SR complete newbie need help please

Considering buying one I found on Craigslist.

Price is good but there are a few concerns:

1) I need a 3rd row even if the 3rd row is tiny. Owner cites that putting a 3rd row in is easy as pie if you get one from the junkyard. I don't want this to be my problem.

Is it easy to put a 3rd row seat from a 94+ in there? What years should I look for? Would the seats and seatbelts be a no hassle bolt in?

2) I asked the guy if there are any problems and he says the motor knocks. This surprises me..thought I read that sometimes people confuse other issues with knock. He says the "knock" goes away with Lucas.

3) Anything else I need to watch out for?

Thank you!

Liston 06-18-2011 05:18 PM

It is easy, takes less than 30 minutes to put them in. All you need is a screwdriver and an open or socket wrench. If you're getting from a junkyard make sure you get all the hardware. I think for both rear seats there's a total of 6 screws, 8 bolts and 4 plastic molding pieces. Setting up seat belts not sure about. If you're interested PM me, I've got a set of rear seats that might work that I'd practically give away. I'm tired of reposting them on ebay :mad:

ukiltmybrutha 06-19-2011 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Liston (Post 273805)
It is easy, takes less than 30 minutes to put them in. All you need is a screwdriver and an open or socket wrench. If you're getting from a junkyard make sure you get all the hardware. I think for both rear seats there's a total of 6 screws, 8 bolts and 4 plastic molding pieces. Setting up seat belts not sure about. If you're interested PM me, I've got a set of rear seats that might work that I'd practically give away. I'm tired of reposting them on ebay :mad:

Interesting, please tell me about the seats. I am guessing it would cost a small fortune to ship them eh?

Also, what about the rod knock. That is potentially a big issue.

Thanks!

Liston 06-19-2011 03:06 PM

The seats are off-white leather. I know they're not from a 95 SR, that's what I've got and the pattern is different. I'm guessing early 90's or late 90's. I have pics somewhere....and unless you live close to or happen to be driving through NYC to p/u, it's not worth it to ship.

Rod knock makes me nervous. I think of Lucas oil as a band-aid not a cure-all. Parts for these trucks in general are pricey (I'm comparing to American, cuz that's all I know, yee-ha :D) plus unless you're a mechanic be ready to bend over for some labor-intensive repair costs. If this truck is in great shape otherwise and a steal of a price, maybe roll the dice, but do some more homework and compare prices for other Monteros first.