Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

94 Montero/Pajero trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 02:01 AM
Default 94 Montero/Pajero trans fluid

Hi, my 3.0 V6 auto is taking time going into reverse, I read elswhere here that dexron 3 is ok in the trans. Is this so or should I use dedicated mistsubishi fluid ?,
Thanks,Dean

Old 10-28-2006, 02:02 AM
Default RE: 94 Montero/Pajero trans fluid

it would help if you told us what year and model you have.

Old 10-28-2006, 04:37 AM

it says on the post 94 montero/pajero and then 3.0 V6...what more do you need?its is NJ and a GLS model here in Aus

Old 10-28-2006, 05:20 AM

ORIGINAL: dino61

it says on the post 94 montero/pajero and then 3.0 V6...what more do you need?its is NJ and a GLS model here in Aus
FYI...The 94 Montero is the same as a 93 Pajero. The 94 Pajero is the same as the 95 Montero. In the case of your question this doesn't matter however since IIRC the tranny's are the same. I'd use the Mitsu fluid or something specifically noting compatible with your specific transmission. You don't want to be like a good buddy who decided I was full of crap and put mobil 1 tranny fluid in even after I told him not to. He ended up rebuilding it in a couple of thousand miles.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:41 PM

The mid 90's transmissions specified Dexron II. Which has been superceded by Dexron III. You can use Dexron III and you will be fine. You can use Mitsu SP III if you want to, but it is not required for your tranny.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:38 PM

Oh Gosh - here we go again! There is no definitive proof that SPIII is the same as ATF+3 or +4. After mush research I decided to go with SPIII (what is recommended for my 03 tranny). Check your manual and use what is recommended. If you stray, you are on your own. With that said, I would still like someone to prove to me that ATF+4 and SPIII are not the same thing......

Also, Specialty formulations makes an ATF that is speciality formulated for SPIII. I will be trying that in 30k miles.

TJ

Old 10-31-2006, 11:21 PM

ORIGINAL: tj90

Oh Gosh - here we go again! There is no definitive proof that SPIII is the same as ATF+3 or +4. After mush research I decided to go with SPIII (what is recommended for my 03 tranny). Check your manual and use what is recommended. If you stray, you are on your own. With that said, I would still like someone to prove to me that ATF+4 and SPIII are not the same thing......

Also, Specialty formulations makes an ATF that is speciality formulated for SPIII. I will be trying that in 30k miles.

TJ
Yup.. what he said!!

I don't know what is recommended by Mitsu for the 94 tranny but since tranny rebuilds aren't cheap or easy, it's best to stay with what's not only proven to work but what the manufacturer recommends versus taking web advice which may be speculation that something "should work" because it's "the same". If, on the otherhand the Lube maker says it's compatible, then they can share any repair liability.

HTH.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:06 PM

Good advice. Im using specialty formulations MTL-R in my porsche manual transmission now. Im taking a risk since its not what the manufacturer recommends. The concern is that this manual is different than RWD trannies. Syncros AND hypoid gear need lubrication and protection. Unfortunately, these typically require 2 types of lube (a GL4 lube for the yellow metal syncros and EP rated visosity lube for shear stresses of the hypoid gear tp the half axles. The owner of SF says that MTL-R is a lower viscosity with EP protection so I will be monitoring hypoid gear wear with an oil analysis in 10k miles. Im told to look at Fe (iron) wear. But boy the syncros are working the way they should!!!

Im also using the MTL-R in the transfer case since it was a fully synthetic GL4/5 rated fluid. I did not want to put Mobil-1 in the transfer case since Mitsu recommends GL4 fluid and Mobil 1 is GL5 ONLY! Mobil tech support said that M-1 gear oil SHOULD NOT be used in GL4 applications (like Mitsu transfer case recommendations for the GenIII trucks).

Old 11-06-2006, 04:07 PM

You guys need to get your fluids and recomendations straight. First of all, the OP has a '94 Montero. Have any of you read what the owners manual calls for? Well, I have, and it calls for Dexron II or Diamond SP. Dexron II has been superceded by Dexron III. So, if the owners manual says that Dexron II is OK, then Dexron III is OK too. Let me say it one more time "THE OWNERS MANUAL RECOMMENDS DEXRON II".

I never said ATF +3 or ATF +4 is the same as SPIII. ATF +3 and +4 are chrysler specifications and they have nothing to do with Dexron(GM) specifications. Nor do they have anything to do with SP(Mitsu) III specifications.

Your '03 transmission is completely different than the '94 transmission. The '94 transmission was manufactured by Aisin. The '03 transmission is manufactured by Mitsubishi. Don't try and compare the requirements of your '03 transmission with a '94 transmission. THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Once again, my advice to the original poster is based on what a '94 Montero owners manual recommends. Your advice is based on what your '03 owners manual recommends. Your advice stating that his tranny needs SP III is incorrect.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:11 PM

ORIGINAL: off roader

I don't know what is recommended by Mitsu for the 94 tranny but...
Well, you might want to find out before you tell him that SPIII is required.

One more thing. I have had Mobil 1 in my '95 tranny for about 5 years. Mobil 1 is a Dexron III compatible fluid. My tranny performs just like new. It was not the fluid that caused your friends tranny to fail.

Quick Reply: 94 Montero/Pajero trans fluid