Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

95 mits. Mont. Sport no reverse???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 12:59 AM
inkaddictionstattoo@rocketmail.com's Avatar
Default 95 mits. Mont. Sport no reverse???

hi i have a 1995 mitsubishi montero ls 4x4 and its having some transmission type pronlems.it wont reverse.someone told me they had the same problem and it was a transmission filter and a cable?so i had someone mess with it and they messed with the idle and passing cables.when they pulled up on it the reverse would work a little but wasnt fixed.. now since then,it doesnt change gears when i use the o.d. button and at times i wont shift into the higher gears while on the beltway? please help me i dont wanna get rid of my truck and i cant afford to get a transmission but i love the truck sooo much!! my main thing is my reverse though. when i try to reverse backwards it just idles as if it was in drive. the gears problem only happens now and then i just wanted to make sure that was known. the reverse is my main concern. but anyways, if i put it back in park then shift it to reverse again, it will sometimes start to move slowly, no grinding noises or anything though. but as i said before, when we wiggle hard upwards on the cables located on the throddle, it will seem like it wants to go in reverse??
please help!!! thanks.. -brandy

Old 05-14-2011, 07:39 PM

Welcome to the forum, linkedname....

The good news is is that it sounds like your trouble might just be in your linkage, and that whoever "fixed" it didn't quiet do it right the first time.

You have an auto transmission, right? Well you're going to have to crawl under your beast and do a few things. First, park on a level surface, put on your parking brake and chock the wheels. Then, put your trans in Neutral. Underneath, there should be an arm on the driver's side of your transmission that should also be in the Neutral position. If it isn't, follow the control rod back to where it meets the bracket coming off the bottom of the selector in your console. Loosen the adjusting nut, move the rod until the arm on the trans points to Neutral and then re-tighten everything, making certain that your shift selector is also still pointed to the Neutral position on the console.

If you instead have a cable-type setup, the deal is the same, but you loosen the adjusting nut on the transmission where the cable attaches to it, shift into neutral, gently pull the cable slightly forward and then re-tighten the adjusting nut.

See if that works for you. Also it wouldn't hurt to check the fluid level and condition as a matter of course when any problems relating to the transmission crop up...

And yes, I love the truck so much, too!!!!