Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

'99 Montero suddenly won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 05:46 PM
Default '99 Montero suddenly won't start

This is a real stumper:
Situation: Car was turned off. About a minuet later went to start it and no sound except a very small click about a second after from the steering column. All lights and sounds still come on

Factors: *the car has a substantial oil leak making it so a lot of the engine has oil sprayed on it.
*The car has a small glitch that sometimes when you go to remove the key it doesn't release it and you have to step on the brake and, push the button on the shifter to get the key to finish turning back to release.
*Every once in a while I could feel a slight hesitation when switching to next gear.

What has been tried:
* tried starting it in neutral and in drive- nothing
*the battery has been checked. Tested and it was good (at that point 2 wks ago) and tried to jump it 2 different times with 2 different jumper cables. Examined the battery connectors and wires as best as I could see -they look good.
*looked at fuses- all looked fine
*short circuit started the starter- worked but didn't start car.
*had a new key made- no change
*changed the key ignition- no change
* (but went ahead and...) changed out the starter with a new one. - no change.
*had both starters tested- both worked with the old one not as strong as the new one. (As expected) Put the old one back on.
*changed a broken turn signal bulb (?someone said that online)
*changed out the camshaft angle sensor- no change. (At this point tried the 2nd jump)
*went home and cried a little, then prayed- no change
I feel like it's something btwn the key and starter bc the starter is not even starting. I think it might just be time to take it in to a diagnostic machine and machanic. Possibility that the problem is in the flywheel? Unless there is a person reading this that is half genius and half engine whisperer.
Thanks,
A desperate girl in new orleans that just made her last car payment a few days before it broke. (Seriously, I did.)

Last edited by latham; 04-28-2016 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Could possibly be the flywheel ...
Old 04-28-2016, 12:12 AM

From your diagnosis, I'd say the issue is somewhere between the key and the starter. This most likely be some sort of wiring issue. What you need to check is - do you get the 12 volt at the solenoid when you turn the key to start. If not, work your way backwards to fuse panel, then the ignition switch. To me it sounds like your ignition switch is busted. You may want to check that after you check voltage at solenoid.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:12 AM
Default Even still after

HunterD, you still think solenoid if I can short start the starter? And As well I did switch out the ignition switch. Unfortunately didn't start.. Weird, huh? Could it be two unrelated problems happen at once!?!? Ha! Thanks for that though!!
Originally Posted by HunterD
From your diagnosis, I'd say the issue is somewhere between the key and the starter. This most likely be some sort of wiring issue. What you need to check is - do you get the 12 volt at the solenoid when you turn the key to start. If not, work your way backwards to fuse panel, then the ignition switch. To me it sounds like your ignition switch is busted. You may want to check that after you check voltage at solenoid.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:31 AM

If starter works by shorting it, that means starter is OK, and it gets voltage on that big fat wire. Since you can't activate it by the means of the key - I'd check solenoid. I still will not rule out the ignition switch. You can probe the contacts on it to make sure they all work in correct key positions.
Here is a question for you - if you have the key in the RUN position and short the starter - will the car start?

Old 04-28-2016, 04:32 AM

On our 2002 Montero Sport we had a similar situation. Engage the shifter push button and shift it out of park and thru the gears then firmly put it back in park. Ours appears to have a switch in the shifter which was not making contact while in park and locking out the starter. Worked for us.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by larry4406
On our 2002 Montero Sport we had a similar situation. Engage the shifter push button and shift it out of park and thru the gears then firmly put it back in park. Ours appears to have a switch in the shifter which was not making contact while in park and locking out the starter. Worked for us.
That is very good idea and a likely culprit. You can bypass the switch (short it) and see if it will start.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:59 AM

So isn't it that when we tried the new starter it included a new solenoid? I believe so. .. and even when we had the starter short started the car would not turn over. Even with the gear shifter in all different gears. Here's a question for ya- wouldn't the starter being started like that be able to start the fly wheel?
If starter works by shorting it, that means starter is OK, and it gets voltage on that big fat wire. Since you can't activate it by the means of the key - I'd check solenoid. I still will not rule out the ignition switch. You can probe the contacts on it to make sure they all work in correct key positions.
Here is a question for you - if you have the key in the RUN position and short the starter - will the car start?

Old 04-28-2016, 12:05 PM

Yes-that's what I first thought bc it had that little glitch with the shifter where it doesn't recognize it in park but it didn't effect it when I tried that technique.
Originally Posted by larry4406

Old 04-28-2016, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by latham
So isn't it that when we tried the new starter it included a new solenoid? I believe so. .. and even when we had the starter short started the car would not turn over. Even with the gear shifter in all different gears. Here's a question for ya- wouldn't the starter being started like that be able to start the fly wheel?
Hold on, I think there are some terminology issues here. When you say the car would not turn over do you refer to engine rotating by the action of the starter or engine not starting and not running on it's own power. Typically, the "turning over" refers to just starter making pistons move up and down. Engine running on it's own us usually referred as "firing up" or "starting".
So, does shorting the starter "turns" the engine? If yes, we are back to missing signal from the key (possible bad or malfunctioning interlock switch). If starter makes noise but engine DOES NOT TURN over, check if you are missing any teeth on the flywheel. That, however, will be a separate issue from the starter not getting a signal from Key On Start position.
Not sure where the interlock switch is located on your truck. It can be in the console or on the transmission itself. Check to see if moving levers to Park changes the continuity in it. It may be stuck or broken or misaligned.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:01 PM

Hold on, I think there are some terminology issues here. When you say the car would not turn over do you refer to engine rotating by the action of the starter or engine not starting and not running on it's own power. Typically, the "turning over" refers to just starter making pistons move up and down. Engine running on it's own us usually referred as "firing up" or "starting".
So, does shorting the starter "turns" the engine? If yes, we are back to missing signal from the key (possible bad or malfunctioning interlock switch). If starter makes noise but engine DOES NOT TURN over, check if you are missing any teeth on the flywheel. That, however, will be a separate issue from the starter not getting a signal from Key On Start position.
Not sure where the interlock switch is located on your truck. It can be in the console or on the transmission itself. Check to see if moving levers to Park changes the continuity in it. It may be stuck or broken or misaligned.
Hm, so when the starter was short circuit started it did not make the engine do anything. No sound no activity no n I t hing. That's why I am thinking it could amazingly be 2 seperate problems happen at once? The key does nothing except that one click and the engine has not done anything even with all these variables. Is there something that would speak to both those problems? Maybe the computer "mother board" or such? Maybe the neutral safety switch? Is there something that would disable the key or the engine starting for a safety reason or something?

Last edited by latham; 04-30-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Quick Reply: '99 Montero suddenly won't start