Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Advice on Buying 3rd Gen Montero unseen - rust issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 10:20 PM
Default Advice on Buying 3rd Gen Montero unseen - rust issues?

Hi guys, in reference to my other thread, I'm looking at a Black 20th Anniversary Edition Montero located in NJ. I have attached a link to it below. I would love any feedback that you guys have, particularly on chances of rust...

Rover Classic : Welcome to ROVERCLASSIC.COM :: MITSUBISHI MONTERO 20TH ANNIVERSARY

So it looks to be fair deal on a good condition Montero. Seller seems reputable, however I did see some negative reviews online about condition of the vehicles not being as represented when people showed up to buy them from out of state (as I would be doing). However, almost every dealer has some negative reviews online, so I'm trying to take that with a grain of salt.

I pulled the carfax. Been in IL all it's life, but there appears to be no rust on the undercarriage. Initially I took the "listing" at their word, but all the listings say the same thing...so that was slightly concerning. I asked the dealer about the undercarriage being sprayed, and they said they do that to all their vehicles becasue they keep them in a gravel lot and it protects the undercarriage. I'm not saying they are lying, but it's hard to really verify there is no rust when you see that spray on everything. Does anyone have any thoughts? Given the condition of the interior and exterior, I wouldn't be surprised if there was no rust, but I don't want to buy it, pick it up, get home and discover rust, and just be screwed. Is it better to find a none "salt belt" example or does this one look clean enough?

Other thoughts. It was a one owner vehicle, then was sold at auction. Does that seem odd? There are no maintenance records and only one key, no keyless entry FOB.

Last edited by joscreven; 09-19-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:29 AM

It looks really good. I had the same concern as you did about the fresh undercarriage spay. If there were any rust there initially - you will not see it now. That's the point of doing the spray as far as the dealer concerned.
It doesn't seem like there are any massive weak gaps in the body or in the sub frame members, so I'd venture to say that any rust, if it was present, would have been superficial and not structural.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:01 PM

Yeah, I would probably wait if options were plentiful, but its not like there are a bunch of other ones to choose from. I'm debating just waiting for a southern one to come up..but that could be months/years for a particular one.

Any thoughts on the one owner, straight to auction?

Old 09-20-2019, 01:05 PM

The exhaust and transmission also look clear, so I would assume that would carry over to the frame. Unless I am missing something, the exhaust would at least be rusting as well...

Old 09-20-2019, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by joscreven
The exhaust and transmission also look clear, so I would assume that would carry over to the frame. Unless I am missing something, the exhaust would at least be rusting as well...
True. Transmission case is aluminum, so it would not rust, but you can see couple steel bolts on it that have slight discoloration. That is what I'd call a superficial rust (not something that StudebakerHawk is dealing with on his Montero...). It is completely reasonable to expect that on a 16 yo vehicle. The exhaust on the other hand is steel and it is fairly clean - very good sign. I thing you are safe with this one as far as rust goes.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:26 PM

What is the price asked for this rig? I am currently cleaning/repainting the frame on my 94 Montero (see posts), and really notice that the frame on the newer ones seems much smaller........are these now a type of "unibody" frame construction?

It appears to be in really good shape, and I tend to think there is no issues underneath.......but it does make you wonder when a dealer slaps on fresh undercoating paint, most likely right over any surface rust. The mileage must be correct, as the seats would show far greater signs of wear/tears as the mileage creeps up toward 200k.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:29 AM

Yes, Gen 3 are unibody. I got one like that - no frame at all. Looking at the photos, If it was up to me - I'd be feeling pretty well to get that one. That is said with the caveat - it is after all a used vehicle, so things that need attention will pop up here and there (could be sooner than you want). But that is a normal thing with getting a new for you used vehicle.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:21 PM

OK....unibody.

It would really help if we were told what the asking price is on this Montero.....I did not see it in the ad.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:39 PM

Hey! Guess what - I bought this very car! Sorry OP, I beat you to it. I'm from OH, and had it shipped last week. Have gone over it generally, but not yet 100% through the drivetrain. I thought some might be interested in how the reality was vs. this post. So... first post!

I actually tried to post a question to this forum last week right after I got the car, but mods have swallowed my first ever post on a virgin account. It was a very stupid question - but the first thing I discovered on this car, more to do with the dealer, was they DIDN'T TIGHTEN THE LUG NUTS ON THE FRONT LEFT WHEEL. I guess it's on me that I didn't fully inspect before I drove it, but holy crap - only one lug nut was tight, and it ka-chunk-ka-chunk'd until I figured out what was going on.

Overall, the car is really great, and I'm very happy with it. Certainly over-paid for it though - but in the whole supply/demand thing, very little supply of a NOT FRICKING GOLD OR GREEN decent specimen. Here's my take:

Price: $6,900 - worth probably $5,900 - better than most I've seen, but not worth an extra grand. I paid it due to scarcity and I haven't seen any other black ones. Only color I'd buy, so I cheated with dough. I went into this search looking for precisely this car, so I just leaped into it.
  • Undercarriage looks actually very good, despite the undercoating. I generally walk away from any car with this. I spent some time under it, poking at the corners, and it all feels super solid, and I didn't find any hidden problems. I may regret this in a number of years as it will hide rust under it, and make remediation much more difficult. (why I hate this stuff) But it also STINKS as they just sprayed it wantonly all over even the hot bits. And touching anything makes your hands filthy black with the crud. Annoying.
  • Exterior is actually 6/10 - worse than the pictures appeared, but not too bad. I don't think this girl ever saw wax. Some damage to the plastic side molding on both sides - will likely look for replacement moldings. Hood finish is not awesome either, and I will eventually re-paint. But in general, still a looker, and have already gotten compliments, and incredulous stares when I tell them it's 16 years old
  • Engine feels tight, and runs well. Dipstick looks clean, and fluids look clean. All seems perfect in this regard.
  • Driveline feels like 8/10 - transmission, 4x4, and gearing all feels smooth and perfect. Wheels feel a bit worn - more wobbly than I'm used to - so I will likely rebuild the rolling bits - repack bearings. It's a bit out of balance at highway speeds - so given the wheel/tire situation, I'll replace at some point. I think with new bearings and better balanced wheels it'll be great. (any sweet wheel recommendations??)
  • Right side tires are fragged - somebody really curbed them and ripped up the sidewalls. No joke - no likie.
  • Rear brakes are bad, though - rear right rotor has noise and it will need new rotors, etc. Easy fix.
  • Interior is tremendously good. Still not perfect, with some obvious touch-up pen work in a couple of spots on the seats. The center console hatch closures are broken - so the top armrest hatch just flops open. No floor mats at all in the car - this was annoying - but I always get weathertech mats (do they make those for Monty's?)
There's definitely some sketchy frankenstuff going on with this ride, but on balance I'm super happy. My first Mitsubishi, having researched for months on exactly what I'd get. It really drives amazingly. Visibility is insane, and I'm not used to such a great turning radius.

So there is my report, for those watching at home

Old 10-08-2019, 01:00 AM

Congrats on your purchase. The issues/concerns you list are fairly typical of any used vehicle.
The issues with wobble at highway speed is most likely related to wheel balance and wheel alignment.
As far as repacking bearings - these models do not have any that can be repacked. . The hub/wheel bearing unit is sealed and not serviceable. It its pressed into the knuckle as one unit. Pretty easy fix. I'd say don't do it unless you have a bearing that is failing.
Have fun tweaking/modding your new ride.

Quick Reply: Advice on Buying 3rd Gen Montero unseen - rust issues?