Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Are all 3.0's the same?..as far as timing

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Default Are all 3.0's the same?..as far as timing

I have a 2002 Montero Sport ES 3.0liter V-6 SOHC 4X4 AWD whatever...

I have tried to find a Haynes manual, even went to Haynes' website and there is not one for the 2002. So, what model manual can I buy that is like this 2002 engine so I can put the heads back on it and set the timing correctly. I can get it all back together fine...I just want a book that tells me step by step how to do it.

The shop service manual is just a bunch of exploded view pics of the order of assembly and disassembly.

I am WAY new to Mitsu!!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Default RE: Are all 3.0's the same?..as far as timing

If you can access any manual of any year Montero Sport V6- you'll be okay.Nothing has changedmuch from the 1st year of introduction and the last year of production as far as the 3.0 V6 is concerned.

JJ

Old 04-11-2008, 09:25 PM

Is it a 6g72?

Old 04-11-2008, 09:59 PM

It is a 6G72.

Hey Joel, are you sure I have to drop the oil pan and all that business to change the oil pump?

I don't WANT to replacethe oil pumpbut the driver sidecam was siezed to the point of being stuck in the head and I do not know what caused the failure as I bought the vehicle this way and the previous owner is unknown. The head was warped/unuseable according to the highly reputable "head shop" Schmidt Automotive -Indianapolis,IN
So, I am replacing the water pump, blah blah blah

Old 04-12-2008, 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: SyntorX

It is a 6G72.

Hey Joel, are you sure I have to drop the oil pan and all that business to change the oil pump?

I don't WANT to replacethe oil pumpbut the driver sidecam was siezed to the point of being stuck in the head and I do not know what caused the failure as I bought the vehicle this way and the previous owner is unknown. The head was warped/unuseable according to the highly reputable "head shop" Schmidt Automotive -Indianapolis,IN
So, I am replacing the water pump, blah blah blah
Well, the oil pump pick up tube is attatched to it and you won't be able to remove the oil pump without 1st removing the pickup tube. The pick up tube is only accessable with the pan off. If you bought the Sport as a non-running vehicle- you should go ahead and do it now while you have everything off. Unless you know the cam siezed by something OTHER than oil starvation- you'd better take care of the oil pump just in case. It's be a waste of time and effort (not to mention money) if you put everything together to find that you have little to no oil pressure. While you have the oil pan off, you can inspect the rod and main bearings to look for evidence of oil starvation there too. That's the risk about buying a non running vehicle- just double check stuff while you put the car back together to make sure you do the job right the first time. If anything- at least drain the oil and see what you got. Any bits metal flakes and call the whole project off and consider looking for a long block. If you have an water and oil milkshake, you might want to consider looking a bit closer at the other cylinder head. Won't be too much more work since you already have the top end apart.

JJ

Old 04-17-2008, 04:41 PM

if you are replacing the oil pump you would be time and money ahead just to pull the engine.