Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Anyone Else have this Slow Leak??

Old 10-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Default Anyone Else have this Slow Leak??

[size=2]Hi
I hope this isn't something that's been discussed. If it has please forgive me, I'm a newbie. I have a 2000 montero sport LS 4x4. I have a slow leak under the vehicle, seems to be under the drivers seat. I took it to Hayward Mits very reluctantly after the service guy on the phone asked me about 3 times if I was sure it wasn't just condensation off the A/C. I took it there, and he called me and said it was my valve (Fumoto, http://www.fumotovalve.com/ ) I had installed in place of the bolt/washer in the oil pan. He called it a 10$ jiffy lube valve and charged me 80$ for the service. And no, he didn't give me the fumoto valve back. I brought it home and it's still leaking to this day(took it in about 3 months ago). I expect that kind of service from a shade tree mechanic but not Mitsubishi themselves. Anyhow, has anyone experienced a slow leak from this area? If so any advice? I'm not afraid to bust a knuckle or three and swallow a quart of oil. I took it to them cause I couldn't track the leak down and had been pretty busy betwen work and family(my 2 year old waging war on the house) All of my fluid levels look good, which really confuses me. I can't find the other site I used to visit, but there was a really bright guy named Joe or Joel on there? Does he frequent this site? After I get this leak taken care of I'd really like to see if I could make some smog legal power gains. I love my sport, but getting to Tahoe can be a chore in it.

Thanks
Bug[size]

Old 10-29-2005, 10:27 PM
Default RE: Anyone Else have this Slow Leak??

You MUST be talking about me . Follow the link in my signature and visit the FAQ section that i made up on the Sport. Good Luck!

Joel, CA

Old 10-30-2005, 11:37 AM

Cool, you're still around!! Thanks for the info!! So from looking at your site, should be a rear cam seal, and something that the dealer should have picked up right away? Can you (or others)suggest a trustworthy shop in the bay area? I live in fremont. How long would this take to do myself? This is my wifes daily driver, it would have to be knocked out in a day or two max by me, or a day at a shop. Is this possible? How much should I expect to pay for service? Sorry for all the questions, I like my my vehicles running right, so I have to get this fixed.
Bug

Old 10-30-2005, 06:12 PM

Every shop will give you a different quote in cost as labor rates vary from shop to shop. YOu'll need to call around and get the estimates done youself. It can be a DIY'er type job if you feel you're handy enough- it really depends on you. The FAQ section that i pointed out has a couple of pictures. Crawl up under your truck and take a look as only you judge what your abilities are. The cost of the O ring should be less than $5 for both. YOu'll save a lot of money if you do it yourself. The dealer should have picked up on this UNLESS the Futomo valve was leaking real bad and seemed to be the more obvious source. Good LUck!

Joel, CA

Old 10-31-2005, 05:39 PM

Joel, you give too much credit to the dealer. A fumoto valve is a nice piece of equipment and I doubt that it was leaking. Go DIY.

Old 10-31-2005, 05:45 PM

It wasn't the valve leaking. The dealer replaced the valve with the drain plug bolt and it's still leaking. I agree Winshawn I stand by my fumotovalve, have them on both my vehicles. I bought a replacement after the jerk at the dealership tossed mines.
Bug

Old 10-31-2005, 09:08 PM

Joel, you give too much credit to the dealer. A fumoto valve is a nice piece of equipment and I doubt that it was leaking. Go DIY.
I'm not giving any credit to the dealer- i'm just trying to come up with a logical explanation on why they overlooked a very common source of an oil leak. I have seen these Futomo valves leak before ... Lets keep in mind that i worked for a Mitsubishi Dealership for 8+ years, it is my duty to defend and protect them hahaha

Joel, CA

Old 10-31-2005, 09:20 PM

I haven't ever taken my mitsu to the dealers. Too many horror stories and at +80/hour they charge, I'm just not willing to take the risk. In hayward, I'd recommend Bo's Imports off of Industrial Parkway (west of 880).

They charge less than the dealerships and are far more than knowledgeable.

They've gone as far as fully rebuilt my engine for me.

Old 11-01-2005, 02:48 AM

Going to the dealership really depends on what the problem pertains too. Alot of the new technology takes years to trickle down to the independent shops to which they usually learn about them through trial and error. At the dealership- we get to learn about the theory behind the technology which allows us to put some thought into an actual diagnosis. Sadly, many dealership technicians refuse to take advantage of this program and use "oldschool" methods of diagnosis and repair. With that said, stuff like brakes, etc can be handled almost anywhere though i'd still be weary of who exactly is doing the work. Once a particular vehicle falls out of the warranty period is when most owners decide to look elsewhere to have work done. It is usually then that independents get their first look at a particular model.
There is an advantage to working strictly on Mitsubishi vehicles that other import or independent shops don't have- repetition. Most of everything i say online is based on something i've seen many times before either in my own experience, or by watching & helping another technician troubleshoot through it. Since many Mitsu models share powertrains- alot of that experience can be spread between many model lineups. Just by reading a particular complaint on a repair order, the wheels in my brain start turning and i pretty much know what i'm gonna do and how i'm gonna do it as i approach the vehicle. Not that i'm always right- but i speak with absolute confidence when i make a recommendation and try to eliminate any guesswork- in the workplace, or online. If i don't have the confidence to back up a recommendation- i simply won't respond or answer that particular thread. Of course, not all dealership technicians take as much pride in their work and are not really into customer service as they should be. Either way, careful selection should be considered on when deciding where to bring your vehicle in both independent shops AND dealerships.

Joel, CA

Old 11-01-2005, 02:56 PM

I must admit I have had very good service at times from the Mitsu dealers. I have also had some bad experiences. They diagnosed my cam plug seal leak right off the bat. And on the same visit they told me my brakes were almost metal to metal. When I pulled a wheel at home, there was over 50% life left on the brakes[:@]

it is my duty to defend and protect them hahaha
I like your attitude.

The problem with dealers is that they often do not do their homework. I have seen you and other time and time again refer to a TSB, and when the customer takes it in to the dealer their usual response is "I have never seen that before!?!" Well, why not? Shouldnt they be comparing your symptoms to the TSBs related to your car/truck. Unfortunately, that is just how the world is. People are often lazy, and blaim the customer when they cant find a problem that they can fix. The same problem happens with Medical Doctors. If they cant figure out what is wrong with you they figure it is all in your head.

Ranting Over.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone Else have this Slow Leak??