Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Anyone Else have this Slow Leak??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Default RE: Anyone Else have this Slow Leak??

That's very true and i've seen that before within my own dealership. In fact, alot of my help with my coworkers come from TSB related symptoms that they had no clue about- stuff i'd recognize right away based on the complaint. All i can say is that the info is there and is provided by Mitsubishi to each of their technicians.

Joel, CA

Old 11-02-2005, 01:57 AM

Hey offroader,
Thanks for the shop reccomendation, I'll give them a call tomorrow. I went to a shop I trust around the corner from my house for a quote. Their computer said it was a 11.5 hour job at 80$ an hour. They said they would charge me $750 since I was a return customer. The DIY on the other site didn't look like a 12 hour job. Now I'm a little worried. Do I really want to tackle a job that would take a shop 12 hours? I'll call Bo's imports and see what they say. Just how bad is this slow leak? How long do I have before bad things start to happen?
~Bug

Old 11-02-2005, 02:04 AM

They might be quoting your for the FRONT cam seals-whereas you are only replacing the REAR cam O ring seals located along the thrust cap behind each cylinder head. If i could get away with getting 12 hours pay to do a job like that, i'd be rich! It shouldn't take more than 3 hours labor (book time) or about 30 minutes (my actual time hehe). The front cam seals on the other hand, requires the removal of lots of items to be able to access and replace them. The rear orings do NOT require too much removal. Good Luck!

Joel, CA

Old 11-02-2005, 01:55 PM

I think Joel is right. I had the dealer replace the cam O-rings for $205 (in california) on my '95 Montero LS (not sport). It should be a similar amount of work for the Sport. At the time I thought the plugs were press fit like a freeze plug, so I could not imagine how to remove or reinstall them. Hence, I let the dealer do it. I have since learned (from Joel's DIY) that there are little bolts that hold them in so it is not that tough.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:37 PM

BUMP!

hey joel, on the FAQ's section that covers the DIY replacement of the O Ring's on passenger side and driver side, what is the orientation of the photographs that you took (ei: top view, underneath engine, side, etc etc)

Thanks.

joel