Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

1999 Galant GTZ Slow Battery Drain Problem- solutions anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Default 1999 Galant GTZ Slow Battery Drain Problem- solutions anyone?

Hello,
I have a 1999 Galant GTZ with 212,000 miles on it. It is still going... paint fade and all...

I just need the car to start and get me from my house to my office. I am starting a business and need all the money I can right now to get it going. So...

I have what appears to be a slow drain problem on my battery. If I leave the car for any length of time, the car will not start. I can jump it, then it starts slowly if I try to start it right away. If I leave it connected to my wife's minivan for a while, it starts more easily.

The battery was just replaced. It has a manufacture date of 5/12 and I got it from Autozone. I had the battery tested, it tested fine. The problem with the car starting has been steadily increasing over time since that time, however...

It appears that the alternator is operating because if I drive it for a little while, I can park it and restart it after about five minutes. If i drive longer, I can restart it after a longer period. Most of the time if I drive the car significantly at the end of the day, then restart it in the morning, it will start, albeit slowly.

Am I on the right track in this being a slow drain problem on the car? I just ordered the Haynes manual and it should arrive in a couple of days. All I want to do is keep the car running and starting.

I am hoping that someone here can tell me what fuses I can remove to stop any circuits that are unnecessary and could be slow draining the battery. Are there any common systems that slow drain the battery in a 1999 gallant GTZ? I will fix things later... but right now I just want the car to start reliably.

Any and all thoughts are really appreciated, please tell me if I am on the right track.

Thank you.