Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Bad water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Default Bad water pump?

Hello,

I have a 1990 Montero lwb with 3.0 v6 that I bought in pieces and have been putting together. I got to the point of adding fluids and starting it up the other day but had a coolant leak after a little while. Hard to tell exactly where it was coming from, someplace up front where the water pump is. I took things apart again and got the pump off. Was going to change the pipe to water pump o ring and gaskets for pump. Gasket set didn't come with the o ring and one of the bolts that hold the pump and housing together took the threads out when it came out also. I could maybe get a slightly larger bolt and tap the hole but I'm not sure the housing is good anyway. I have attached a picture to help explain. The rectangular hole on the back of the water pump would let water leak out. I blocked all but that and blew air in another passage and air would come out of the rectangular hole. Dose this mean my water pump and housing are no good and I should replace the hole thing? Where would I get an o ring for the water pipe? Dealer?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Bad water pump?-img_20140810_142339-620x465-.jpg  
Old 08-11-2014, 02:04 PM

I ordered a gates water pump that has the housing too, this way I won't have a problem with a stripped bolt or bad water pump. Not sure why water pump gasket sets from auto parts stores like napa come with two large o-rings. I would guess they would be for a different water pump housing and water pipe application. None of the local dealers stock any o-rings that might be right. This is the part number I got after calling around "MD030763" many different cars come up when I look up that part both Mitsubishi and mopar vehicles.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:57 PM

Went ahead and ordered MD030763 from the local dealer and its expected on Friday afternoon. I will post an update when I find out if it is the correct o ring. All the part stores I went to yesterday that could cross that part number came up with a much larger o ring. Here is a link to the ASA parts program that dealers use to look up parts as well.