Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Cam/Crank Sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 01:17 AM
Default Cam/Crank Sprocket

I am seeking a Camshaft Sprocket replacement for the passenger side in my 1995 Montero LS 3.0L SOHC 24 Valve. I am unclear what had happened, but the passenger side sprocket suddenly has a chip in the front. I have searched the salvage yards, and have had no luck. I will gladly pay shipping, or if near Portland,Or would gladly travel to you.

I also am having trouble finding info, (besides the FSM, in regards to replacing the Cam/Crank seals,and specifically how to remove them safely. I do not have the special Mitsu tools shown in the FSM, but several other procedures required a certain tool, but had a workaround if one didn't have it. Any links, suggestions, or advice on this matter would be appreciated.

-Gary

Old 07-24-2014, 10:21 AM
Old 07-24-2014, 01:47 PM

oil seals can be pulled out by screwing 2" 8g woodscrews into them and pulling out with vice grips.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Akzle
oil seals can be pulled out by screwing 2" 8g woodscrews into them and pulling out with vice grips.
Appreciate the info, and I DO have those items available to remove them.

I am having an issue with the Cam sprocket bolt, I have consulted the Chilton, and searched a few forums, am only afraid of bending the Camshaft itself, or causing harm to the sprocket, and can only guess what the cost would be to replace, with none currently available at the yards in my area.

I did a nice soak with PB Blaster, tapped firmly with a hammer, still not budging. Going to continue to work on it, and welcome any tips, or tricks that have worked for others.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:23 AM

youd be the hulk to bend a torqued down camshaft.
Are you sure youre turning it the right way?
All the 'tips' you will find by google.
Ive always been able to shift them with a 2ft breaker bar, but if that failed id be into an impact driver.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:00 AM

youd be the hulk to bend a torqued down camshaft.
Are you sure youre turning it the right way?
All the 'tips' you will find by google.
Ive always been able to shift them with a 2ft breaker bar, but if that failed id be into an impact driver.

Impact Driver it is then, I can get one loaned at a local auto parts store. I do appreciate the feedback Akzle.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:18 AM

Breaker Bar did the trick, soaked it for a few hours in penetrant first. thanks again Akzle!