Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Can the AWD linkage freeze?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Default Can the AWD linkage freeze?

Hello all newbie here looking to see if I can have some input on my AWD / 4-H issue.

The current temp here is like 5 degrees, and on my way to work I attempted to shift from AWD to 4-H...correctly I might add.

In doing this the stick moved a little, closer to the 4-H position although the light is not on and I am unable to move the stick either up to what I think is 4-H or back to the AWD position. [sm=WTFsgign.gif]
I understand it could be frozen (dealer said that this morning), but am I safe to be driving it? I have a trip (about 200 miles) tomorrow and I don't want to hurt my new baby!

Any advice?

Thanks! Mike

Old 02-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Default RE: Can the AWD linkage freeze?

What vehicle do you have?

Old 02-02-2007, 02:50 PM

Sorry, didn't realize the profile isn't here...
It is a 2002 Montero Sport LS, AWD 3.0 L.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:25 PM

Well, on my own I have figured out that the lights (4H / 4L) are not operating when I start the car, from what I have heard from THE DEALER [:'(] is that they should come on when starting.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning with them, I'll let everyone know why this is happening.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:04 PM

I didn't respond further because I don't know your xcase that well. I do know that the dash lights are replaceable. Just remove your instrument cluster to access them, but if you're not comfy with that, I'm sure the dealer will happily accept cash, check or charge

Old 02-02-2007, 08:29 PM

Well we'll see if the lights are the problem, cause like I said the stick is no longer movingat all plus the lights are not functioning.

Oh and I have a service contract for the big things, if it is a bulb I'll be happy to learn how to R&R that, I owned a 97 Pontiac Grand Am before this ...

Old 02-05-2007, 11:28 AM

Well the dealer had it on Saturday, and they had to take the shifter assembly apart and "realign" the linkage for the 4X4 selector, I guess this loosens up over time?
I had to bend over at the cashier [:-]...$180.00 for this alignment and the service contract won't conver a non failed part. At least my 4-wheel drive system is working as it should now.

Forfuture referance with others I guess!

Old 02-05-2007, 02:00 PM

ORIGINAL: carlover626

Well the dealer had it on Saturday, and they had to take the shifter assembly apart and "realign" the linkage for the 4X4 selector, I guess this loosens up over time?
I had to bend over at the cashier [:-]...$180.00 for this alignment and the service contract won't conver a non failed part. At least my 4-wheel drive system is working as it should now.

Forfuture referance with others I guess!
I've not heard of them needing realignment but like I said I don't know your rig as well as I know the full sized montero's.
$180, hmmm, I wonder what exactly they re-aligned and why it would go out of alignment in the first place.

BTW, just to prevent other future problems I hope you regularly lube your xcase, tranny, and diff's.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:19 PM

BTW, just to prevent other future problems I hope you regularly lube your xcase, tranny, and diff's.
It wasn't the mechanical peices under the car that you are describing, it was the actual linkage inside the car that the shifter moves to the desired selection.

They had to take the center counsel and the linkage (of the shifter) and replace and tighten the pieces that became loose and made me unable to move the shifter. The lights / 4X4 operation was fine afterward, but the shifter was no longer moving because of this.

Hey,are there points under the car that I can look at to see if they have been lubed or are in need of such?

Does anyone know how many lube points there are on an 02 Montero Sport?

Old 02-05-2007, 08:58 PM

I'd check the factory service manual for that info. The aftermarket manuals like Chiltons, Hayne's, Mitchell, etc. are just not accurate.

IIRC, on my Gen I there are 13 lube points (Zirk Fittings).

There should be close to that many on your sport.