Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Center differential lock light blinking and wont go off

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Default Center differential lock light blinking and wont go off

So, I was shifting the transfer case shifter lever through the gears one by one at a time and suddenly, as all four wheels blinked green the center differential lock light remained the only light blinking. The center differential lock light became the only light to blink (orange blinking light). Now, wheather I go through the gears, shut off/resart the ignition, etc.......it just wont go off. I took a look at the owners manual and it claims that if the diff. light doesnt come off I should pay the dealer a vist. Sounds like bad news.
Does any one have any pointers which can help me from geting raipped by the dealer?

Old 12-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Default RE: Center differential lock light blinking and wont go off

the 01s often suffered from multiple switch failures (from corrosion) on the transfer case.
replacing all 5 switches is recommended.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:40 PM

Bummer.......sounds expensive. What kind of damages am I looking at (finacially). Which switchs are you reffering to? Is this something I can swap out myself.
Can I continue to drive the car w/no worries until repaired.
This sucks..........thanks for the help.
More input would be appreciated.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:26 PM

No more suggestions I see.
Well, I did go ahead and order the transfer case switches. I guess well just have to wait and see what happens. This one will be on trial and error.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:40 PM

Sorry for the late reply. It's easy to swap the switches, but hard to access them since they're on top of the xcase.

Here's a link to pics of a transfer case swap we did on a 3.5L xcase.
http://3.15xcasegearinstall.fotopic.net/

Picture DSC_9464_C10.jpg shows the top of the xcase with the switches. They're the parts w/ wires coming out of them. You simply unscrew them IIRC.

Also, check this link out for additional info...
http://4wd.blogeasy.com/article.view...ticleID=318776

Old 12-15-2006, 07:09 PM

I went through this the hard way.
there are two things that can cause this. one is the two switches above the transfer case. but to check this you have to buy two.
the other and easier and cheaper is the unit also linked to the system behind the airfilter.
for me it was the unit behind the airfilter that was the culprit. but I changed that after I found out that the switches on the transfer case didn't fix the proble.

Good luck,

Old 12-17-2006, 01:57 PM

Those are good and helpful links offroader. Thank you.
And I appreciate your help Paul01..........
What exactly am I looking for when I search behind the airfilter? (behind or underneith the filter?)
What did you pay for the unit?

Old 12-17-2006, 05:51 PM

ORIGINAL: paul01

I went through this the hard way.
there are two things that can cause this. one is the two switches above the transfer case. but to check this you have to buy two.
the other and easier and cheaper is the unit also linked to the system behind the airfilter.
for me it was the unit behind the airfilter that was the culprit. but I changed that after I found out that the switches on the transfer case didn't fix the proble.

Good luck,
on the super select system there are far more than 2 things that can cause this. And there are 5 switches on the transfer case.

it is true that some monteros did no have the super select system, but the center differential light would not blink on those models to indicate a problem.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:51 PM

What up people?
I finally got rid if my CD flashing orange light and heres the final resault.
Ibought all 5 transfer case switches and the freewheel valve switch. I had the dealer install themand $430.00 later, no more orange light.
The actual labor was $294.
Everything is back to normal, and Im all smiles .
I purchased the swithes through MitsubishiOEMparts.com which, is a dealer in Providence RIat $32 each as opposed to the $48 each that my local dealer was charging me.
However, I did get suckered by the localdealer intobuying the freewheel valve switchfrom them. They claim I needed it.[:@]Whatever.....so I bought it. This switch islocated between theairfilter unit,radiator, and immidiatly behind the head light. Its the easiest and cheapestrepair for this issue.
So there you have it..........I hope this helps others whom may encounter this common problem w/there Montero.
I also want to thank those whom helped educate me on this matter.........Peace!!!!

Old 01-14-2007, 04:12 PM

Does your invoice indicate the number of hours labor it required? FWIW, they had to probably lower or remove the xcase to access those switches. This is not an easy process and requires quite a bit of effort to accomplish.

Quick Reply: Center differential lock light blinking and wont go off