Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Changing just the timing belt TENSIONER

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 01:06 PM
Default Changing just the timing belt TENSIONER

Hi All,

2003 Montero limited with 120,000mi. The dealer I took it to last year changed the timing belt, pulley, and water pump, but they didn't replace the timing belt tensioner. Now, it's failing and I have the slap noise on cold startup. No bueno.

Does anyone know how involved this is to DIY? What needs to be removed? I have read conflicting things, but I believe you don't need to disrupt/reset the timing. Please let me know:
1) Can the tensioner be replaced without disrupting the timing?
2) Does the coolant need to be drained/hoses removed?
3) Does the crank pulley need to be removed?

Thanks!

Matt

EDIT: sorry, I did find one prior post that seems to answer some of my questions. Any additional insight would still be appreciated !

Last edited by js696700; 01-20-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:36 AM

Matt,
In theory, I think it is possible to replace the tensioner without removing the harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley). I have never done that though... If you are lucky and you are able to just slip old tensioner out and install new one - you are golden. The danger is - you have no way of checking the timing if something does wrong along the way. When you remove tensioner, the belt will be somewhat slack and one of the camshafts could rotate by itself (they are under rotational tension from the open valves and valve springs) and jump few teeth on the belt. If that happens you got no way to put it back without removing the pulley and resetting timing.
In order to get to the tensioner, you do need to remove a fair amount of stuff. That includes disconnect battery, remove air box and air intake, serpentine belt, cooling fan, alternator, large front bracket that holds all idler pulleys and accessories. There is a way to wiggle the accessory bracket out without removing AC compressor and PS pump, but it is a little tricky. You got to have patience there. You might need to remove at least driver side camshaft cover (plastic one) to give yourself enough clearance for that. There is no need to drain coolant. There is enough space to work there without removing radiator.
In other words, I'm not saying - don't do it. Just be ready for more if you need to.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:20 AM

Thank you HunterD!! That all makes sense. I really, really appreciate the info.

The sound went away in a few minutes (probably 3-5?) once the car warmed up. Can I start it again, let it warm up in place, and then drive it to the shop? Or is it a strict "no" to turn it on again at all?

Best,

Matt

Old 01-21-2020, 09:58 PM

Its OK to drive to the shop. I'd avoid revving to the red line though

Old 01-22-2020, 03:04 PM

I wanted to post a quick correction here. You CAN'T replace TB tensioner without removing harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley). The lover TB cover sits over the tensioner, so you must 4emove the pulley to get down there.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:56 PM

Thank you again HunterD for the info!!! Truly appreciated.

I drove it into the shop today without any issues. It actually sounded less bad on startup today (less slap, but still sort of like a knock or diesel sound). I attribute this to the relatively warmer temps vs. when I heard the slap a few days ago (35F vs 20F). I still think it's the tensioner. I'll let you know what they find!

Best,

Matt

Old 01-25-2020, 05:06 PM

I got the new tensioner put in, and the noise seems to be gone! Sounded good right from cold start and runs way smoother. Thanks again for your help HunterD