Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Consider Buying Montero - advice needed please

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 02:33 AM
Default Consider Buying Montero - advice needed please

Hi there! This is my first post...hi there!

I have driven the 2001 LTD Montero 4 years ago while I was researching for a new family truck. However, due to budget and other reasons, I decided to get a minivan for my wife instead. Now, it is time for me to get a new car and I want to get an SUV. When I test drove the Montero 4 years ago, I fell in love with it after only 20 mins of driving. It was so comfortable and smooth. I haven't driven the new one yet with the new 3.8L engine. My questions are:
1. With the tip over controversy, is it still a big issue with the VSC system(or whatever it is called)
2. What is the avg mileage that you get with the 3.8L engine
3. How reliable is the Montero? I have seen the older version(90's) burned oil. Has this problem been fixed?
4. Should I get a brand new one of a used low mileage one?

Thanks a lot for any advice
myRCgarage

Old 06-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Default RE: Consider Buying Montero - advice needed please

I own a 2002 limited with the 3.5 and love my truck to death. As far as the rollover concern, I have had no scares. I put this truck through it's paces in the corners because it will corner better than any SUV I have driven. I live in alaska and drive the hundred miles to fairbanks once a week. Believe me, the Alcan highway is the roughest highway I have ever driven on and about 70 miles of it strictly curves. A great drive for anyone not scared of an inconsistent road. Being that our weather is extreme to say the least, I have the opportunity to push this truck in all kinds of weather and road conditions. You wouldn't think it could be so stable with the look of that tall cab but it has been planted to the road for 80,000 miles. Sorry I can't speak for the larger engine, but our chassis' are no different and I can't think of another SUV I would trade it for.

Old 06-03-2005, 11:31 AM

Thanks a lot! Last night, I was reading this board and I saw the Montero will be discontinued after 2005. Is it true? Also, Mitsubishi is in financial trouble, how bad is it? Are these rumors or facts?

Old 06-03-2005, 02:30 PM

I have a 2003 with the 3.8L engine as well as the vehicle stability control. I love the new Montero. I have not driven the '01 or '02 with the 3.5L engine. I hear there is a problem with the '01 and '02 with the driveline yoke where it attaches to the rear differential. I goes "clunk" when accellerating in some circumstances. The driveline was redesigned for the '03 which solved that problem. I also understand that the '03 suspension was modified to help with the roll-over issue. I have the VSC system and it seems like a great idea and is becoming much more common on newer cars. It has been calculated that safety feature will save more lives than any other safety feature besides seat belts. The MPG is pretty poor for these cars. Around 13-17 mpg. Probably due to the large frontal area, heavy weight, and low technology of the engine. (no vvt, no variable intake, etc). As far as oil burning, they redesigned the valve stem seals in '95. The new seals last much longer than the older ones. Oh, one more thing the stock stereo(infinity) is freakin' awesome.

Old 06-03-2005, 06:07 PM

Mine is also an infinity and it is the only stereo (ever) that I have left stock. The rumors you mentioned seem to be true as dsm has tightened their grip on maintenance charges almost to a crime. Montero is supposed to be replaced witha truck. who knows

Old 06-03-2005, 07:05 PM

thanks for all the responses.

What is DSM? Mitsubishi something? Based on the "rumors", is Montero still a good buy? I worry about services in the future then if it is gonna be discontinued in the U.S. What are your thoughts? Did any of you buy a new 2004 or 2003 from the dealer lot during 2005 as a used car and get ~10K off?

Thanks
myRCgarage

Old 06-03-2005, 09:09 PM

I got my '03 in Nov of '03 for $9000 off MSRP. The car had 17 miles on it. It was sold as a new car. If I had waited a month I could have gotten another $1500 off because they added a "mitsu loyalty" discount to the deal. That dealer has since gone out of business. I have heard of them being sold with big discounts as used cars. I love Montero's but I do believe they are a bit overpriced. (although not when they are $9k off msrp)

Old 06-03-2005, 09:10 PM

DSM is "Diamond Star Motors" which consists of Mitsubishi, Eagle, and Plymouth. Service shouldn't be a problem for a while, Think about it; you can still find parts for your '98 honda prelude right?

Old 06-04-2005, 01:05 AM

Wow, I love this board. You guys are very helpful. I think if I can get a 2005 at the end of the year for $9K to $10K off sticker, I am sure I will get one. I am in Chicago area. I will see where I can find a good deal then. Any other comments?

Thanks
myRCgarage

Old 06-06-2005, 03:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Winshawn

I got my '03 in Nov of '03 for $9000 off MSRP. The car had 17 miles on it. It was sold as a new car. If I had waited a month I could have gotten another $1500 off because they added a "mitsu loyalty" discount to the deal. That dealer has since gone out of business. I have heard of them being sold with big discounts as used cars. I love Montero's but I do believe they are a bit overpriced. (although not when they are $9k off msrp)
Winshawn, did you have to ask for the $9000 discount or they gave it to you right away as a promotion? Please advise.

Thanks
myRCgarage

Quick Reply: Consider Buying Montero - advice needed please