Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Considering a Montero

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:52 AM
rgk
Default Considering a Montero

After some research, I have decided that a Montero is perfectly suited for what I require in a "new" vehicle. I will be moving out west in the spring for another season with the National Park Service and need a vehicle that will:

1. Safely and comfortably get me, my wife, and our (soon to come) newborn from the midwest to the mountains.

2. Haul a small trailer with our belongings.

3. Have off-road capability for some wilderness exploration, but nothing crazy.

4. Have good 4x4 to deal with midwest ice and mountain snow...

I have researched the Toyota 4Runner, the Nissan Xterra, the Montero, and considered stealing my dad's Jeep Liberty.

The 4Runner is too big, rare, and expensive.

After some consideration, I realized that I don't really want to endure the hassle of trading cars with my dad.

The Xterra was a front-runner until I found the Montero.

In the end, however, the Xterra seemed a little too small, too bumpy of a ride (like the Liberty), too cramped, more off-road capability than we truly need, and not enough on-road capability. I love its youthful look, but like the Lib, the wheelbase seems a little too narrow for pulling a trailer at highway speeds for three or so days with a newborn.

I will be looking at (hopefully more than) one Montero today, but the one that has caught my eye is a clean, green 2001 LS with 150k on the 3.5 engine going for $3,000. We were initially drawn to the (relatively) good gas mileage that the 3.0 engine gets, but I prefer having the stronger block at 9,000 feet, especially if towing.

The truck's reliability and affordable price tag are selling points. Its roominess and impressive differential are a bonus. I appreciate the four disc brakes, unibody design, and independent suspension. I REALLY like the Limited leather and trim, but that is probably out of our price range.

The drawbacks? I don't love the way the exterior looks, and aftermarket support seems thin. I like to work on my cars and thus part availability, as well as a supportive online community, to me are important. Hopefully the vehicle's reliability will offset this aspect. Besides, I can perform a timing belt and valve stem seal replacement with an FSM or Haynes repair manual in hand.

Here's hoping I drive away with a "new" car today!

Last edited by rgk; 12-20-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:14 PM
Default Been there. Several times...

I bought my first Montero, a very used 1992 SR model with 152K on it in 2003.
I drove it to 260K before buying my current Monty, a 2002 Limited.
Aftermarket support for many things Montero Specific has always been a bit scarce.
Easy items like filters, plugs, belts and some seals and gaskets are available though.
Always use Mitsu's Automatic Trans Fluid, do not go aftermarket on this one critical item. Diamond SPIII at this time.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:30 AM

Hey rgk, hopefully by now you have a sweet montero sitting in your driveway. im not sure by your post if you were looking at a montero sport ls or full size montero xls and just left out the x when posting. None the less either one are great trucks but the differences between the two are huge.

I have previously owned a 2004 xterra and ended up selling it to get a 2003 montero limited mainly for the lack of room but also I wanted a center diff lock for offroading and 7 seats for extra kids to haul around. So I can see why the montero full size would a great fit for you. The montero sport however is not gonna offer that much more space than an xterra if any. The towing capacity would be about the same as the two have around the same size engine and horsepower.

The only drawbacks I have found compared to an xterra are like you said the online help isnt comparable to an xterra as well as aftermarket support and parts. Another I will add as im sure others will agree is the lack of approach and departure angles on the montero when stock. On a plus side driving an xterra feels more like driving a truck as to where the monteros unibody and independent suspension is much more comfortable.

All of the trucks you have mentioned are very reliable and well suited for offroading, towing, and daily driving. All of them have their flaws but not deal breakers, for the montero its the 4wd flashing lights, cam seals and valve cover gaskets leaking, among the normal leaks and neglected matinance from buying a used vehicle.

If you havent already bought your montero may I suggest adding a full size 97-98 montero sr and a 99 with winter package to your list of trucks to consider. They have all the needs plus an added rear locker to offer.

For online help here are some sites for support.
Www.ExpiditionPortal.com
Www.pocuk.uk
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
http://msport97.proboards.com/

Heres a link for lifts and other aftermarket stuff

http://www.rocky-road.com/ome-suspension.html

Hope some of this helps.

Keep us posted on what you get

Old 12-21-2014, 09:29 AM
rgk

I did not end up buying it for several reasons.

1. The "owner" was actually a small-time dealer who met me at a drugstore parking lot. She actually fessed up to having the car only a week.

2. The car was actually a Sport, which was not listed in the listing.

3. The car had several oil leaks, which were not mentioned. In fact, the price tag was high enough for the car to be in good condition.

4. There was some chatter in the 4x4.

I am about to go take a look at a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder. Wish me luck!!