Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

Old 03-08-2010, 06:56 PM

I also made a tool and it worked great. basically there are holes on the pulley and I taped the holes that were accross from each other and cut a 18" long by 4" wide flat piece of metal I drilled a hole that would expose the crank bolt. I bolted the metal to the pulled and lveraged it against the cross member and put some beans to it and it worked. Hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:10 PM

I used a 36" pipe wrench to hold the pulley in the middle on the flat part, and a 24" breaker bar to break the bolt free. I have a very strong impact that wouldn't budge the bolt even at 150 PSI. Ive used the big wrench on several other vehicles for the same problem. Works every time.

Daniel

Old 10-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Default crank bolt 2002 montero

Originally Posted by MonsterMax
Do not use the starter and a breaker bar. I tried this and broke the bolt. I almost had to scrap the truck. Get a better impact gun it will be worth it, trust me.
My bolt also broke off. How did you remove your broken bolt? The dealers say I need a new engine. Any suggestions to help me avoid replacing the engine?

Old 10-07-2010, 07:53 PM

Is there anyone out there who has experience or knows how to remove a broken crank bolt from a 2002 montero engine?

Old 10-07-2010, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by mmsa2
Hello, I'm the guy with the starter trick (as you call it) been a mitsu master tech 15years....and this works everytime, if the bolt breaks....it will break....with or without an impact gun.....all the starter does is give mechanical advantage....you do know there was a recall on all montero crank bolts for loosening up under normal use....so we as dealer techs were to remove the bolt,inspect the threads for damage,and the bolt for necking,,,,,,well some techs,just tightend the bolt as it was,this then damaged the threads....and now when the next guy tries to remove said bolt....GUESS WHAT,,GAME OVER....bolt will A:come out ,,,or B: snap...when it snaps,,drill and retap the hole ,,,which takes a few hours....moral of the story is if its gonna snap......its gonna snap....gun or no gun...so let her rip......as for the real issue...buy a chain wrench,,,,,wrap around the crank pulley,,,,set the engine on the ground...and use a breaker bar....if that does not work buy a 4to1 gear reducer bar 400.00 and that too will also snap the bolt..

good luck

Hey mmsa2,

Can you tell me more about the factory recall on all Monteros?
I took my rig in for the two recalls that I knew about...
the fuel leveler and the brake boost accumulator.
Isn't MM required to notify owners of any recall?

Thanks for the info...

Old 10-08-2010, 01:51 PM

to mmsa2 Do you remember the year of the crank bolt recall on the 2002 montero? In my case. the bolt snapped while driving and am having problems finding someone willing to bore the bolt out.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:01 PM

I thought I'd share my experience with the dreaded crank bolt.

This came lose on me a few times. The first time, I had no idea. It started to make a knocking sound like a bad bearing. It scared the sh*t out of me. Because the roll pin was sheared off and the pulley was allowed to spin on the bolt, it must have started wobbling, making that noise.

I saw there was a hole on the back of the pulley for a pin, but since there was a lot of wear on the crank sprocket, I didn't see a hole or anything left that would have resembled a roll pin. The FSM didn't show anything about a pin, so I thought it's possible they didn't put on on this model.... So, I put some medium strength (blue) thread locker on the bolt and torqued it to 100 ft/lbs. Of course, that didn't hold longer than 2 weeks.

The next time, I was 10 minutes from home, the bolt spun all the way out, I lost power steering and the alternator, but I had enough juice in the batt to limp home. This time, it severely damaged the mating surface of the pulley and the hole for the bolt.

I bought a new $8 bolt from the dealer, which was an updated P/N (a much shorter bolt, I might add) but didn't want to spend the $200 for a new pulley, so I had the back of the pulley machined about 1/8" down to a flat surface. (The crank sprocket is hardened steel, so there wasn't much wear on that, only scuffing and a layer of aluminum from the pulley).
A simple $0.50, 2" dia. washer from home depot fit in there perfectly at 1/8" thick. So I drilled two 3/16" holes at 180 degrees through the washer and pulley and filled the bored out center hole with JBWeld putty (this stuff is awesome). Let it set 15 mins, and drilled a new hole for the pulley bolt to the exact diam. another 5 mins later, it was hard as steel. I also had to drill a new hole about 1/2" into the crank sprocket to hold the new roll pin.

Slapped some high strength (red) thread locker on the pulley bolt and put that b*tch on for good. At this point, I didn't care if I had to take it off again. Instructions on the loctite said it'll break if heated to 450 degrees. So, it's possible.

It's been 2 months and no more loosening. I'm happy, until I have to put a torch to it to get it off for a timing belt change....

Old 10-10-2010, 10:29 AM

Hey mmsa2,

I'm unable to find any information at all on a recall for the '02 Monty in regards to the crank bolt. Like I said, the only info I can come up with is in regards to the BBA and the fuel leveler- (I did find one about a safety sticker for air bags during my research, but it was not a US recall.)
If you have a moment please enlighten me. I am interested in keeping my rig in top performance shape due to the fact that I take it into some very remote regions of California on a fairly regular basis.
Would you prefer that I PM you regarding this issue?
Thanks for you time.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:56 PM

Although this thread appears to have been hijacked for the crankshaft pulley bolt recall.

I would like to add, that I just did my timing belt and we were able to get the bolt off by soaking it in CRC for an hour and using a 36" pipe wrench to prevent the crank from spinning counterclockwise and a regular wratchet and breaker bar.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 PM

Glad to hear that you finally got it off.
Sorry about hijacking the tread...my bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt