Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

electrical issues i might be retarded!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 07:17 AM
Default electrical issues i might be retarded!

ok so here is the short of it. no pun intended. so... btw im new on this forum so hi everyone! anyway i have a 99 montero 3.5 v6 i have been converting all my interior lighting to leds which has not been an issue but while i was at it i wanted to put an inclinometer/ alt/ compass gauge pod in (mine was a standard compass/oil/volt setup) so i bought one on ebay and when i got it i noticed the wires where not the same long story short i cut the plug and tried to adapt it i then changed my mind and decided to go back to my old gauge set up because i couldnt get the other one wired up right sooo i tried wiring up the old one but now my dash lights dont work my parking light indicator blinks and when i turn on my headlights it all shuts off so with that being said ive read and read on about how it could be the dimmer switch but i honestly think i just dont have it grounded right or my wires arent right or im missing something everything work perfect before i tried messed with it. btw i have checked the usual fuses and replaced a few but still not working. here is a pic of what it looks like in the back

Attached Thumbnails electrical issues i might be retarded!-monty-2.jpg   electrical issues i might be retarded!-monty.jpg  

Last edited by 99mk2; 08-09-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:45 AM

That's a lot of splices there...

I'd try twiddling the wires while it was plugged in if possible and see if anything changes.. It's super easy to have a bad splice.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:55 AM

yeah thought of that i did juggle it around but to no avail. i might just soldier them and heat shrink to be sure any other thoughts??????? anyone had this issue?

Old 08-09-2015, 03:18 PM

does anyone have a pic of how theres is wired mybe i for got a wire or somthing.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:48 PM

Did you check all the fuses?

It's possible you blew something seemly unrelated that's causing weird electrical issues...

You should probably also check continuity on all those wires between the two harness ends...

Old 08-10-2015, 06:18 AM

alright this week ill soldier all the wires and test them all to see what else i can learn.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:03 AM

Heh.
Hopefully you learned to:

A) Take before pictures
B) Not start hacking up factory wires before you have a plan

I hope it's something simple and your repair works.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:22 PM

You know ive always taken before pics i guess i hot a little cocky. Any way i soldered and heat shrank all the connections and guess what nothing!!! Still messed up im at a loss im not sure what happened. Guess no one else has any ideas or wireng diagrams?????

Old 08-10-2015, 05:53 PM

I don't have any diagrams to offer, you may want to try and ID the fuses of the effected systems and pull them all out, than one at a time put them back in one at a time and see how your switch reacts.

It's possible the switch is the culprit but if this only started after your monkeying it's unlikely unless you had to screw with it to get your dash out.

You are 100% sure you didn't cross splice any of those 500 wires there?

Light chartruse with a pink stripe to Lime green with a light red stripe :P

Old 08-10-2015, 11:19 PM

If you can find the service manual for your year that will have the wireing diagram you need. I hunted around a few days ago and found mine thanks to a post elsewhere in this forum. This fourm is a great place to find what you are needing, as today I found the parts list for my Monty.. finding the parts I need may turn out to be the hardest part..

Quick Reply: electrical issues i might be retarded!