Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Engine help on a 1987 Montero

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Question Engine help on a 1987 Montero

So i have a few questions for you gearheads here on this forum. Im hoping im in the right place, as this IS my first post and i dont want to seem like an idiot lol.

So long story short I bought an incredible looking completely rebuilt and restored montero sport with new engine and transmission and all the goodies that go along with it. well the #2 cylinder stopped working and blew the engine and the company that supplied the engine will not stand behind their warranty. They told us this is the SECOND engine that they supplied to the individual we bought the car from with this problem with the #2 cylinder.

Now I am left with a beautiful looking car with no working engine! my dad and I are thinking of buying an engine for it and putting it in. As I was doing some research I found that there was a diesel engine made for these that was maybe not available in the US or something but it was made nonetheless. We like the idea of a diesel montero as we feel it would be a well engineered and reliable engine.

The question Im getting at is does ANYONE know if it possible to put the diesel engine in the montero I have or would it require a different transmission or what? if I cant use the diesel engine does anyone have any recommendations of how I should go about getting a new 2.6 gasoline engine? any info on this subject would be GREATLY appreciated! thank you in advance for any help!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:07 PM

Bknapp34 ~

Welcome to the forum. So far, you haven't said one idiotic thing; guess you'll have to try harder next time

Sorry to hear about your woes; those old late 80s Monteros are sweet, and I think it's a great idea to plug an new 'plant in her and keep her on the road. I'm no expert in the field of swapping a diesel for a gas and what that would involve, but when you said getting a new 2.6 gasoline engine, did you mean a brand, spankin' new one or just a rebuilt/refurbished one? That makes quite a difference....

I was also wondering what was special about the #2 cylinder?

This from the authoratative Wikipedia: The SOHC 8-valve 4G54 (also known as the G54B) displaces 2.6 L (2,555 cc), with bore × stroke at 91.1 mm × 98.0 mm. The G54B had heads with additional jet valves to improve emissions (MCA-Jet system). It was designed for longitudinal use in rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles. It was equipped with a Hitachi 2-barrel carburetor with a vacuum-operated progressive secondary, except for the turbocharged version and a version used in Australian Mitsubishi Magnas, which used fuel injection. This engine was also used on Chrysler's front-wheel drive K-cars and their derivatives from 1981 until 1987, when it was replaced by Chrysler's 2.5 L engine.

Rebuilt ones are available from dealers such as these:

http://www.automotix.net/engines/198...inventory.html

So if you needed one of these used or rebuilt, they should be easy to find in many of the Chrysler mini-vans and cars of the era, as well as, naturally, Mitsubishis...

Last edited by mothman52; 04-05-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:42 PM

thanks for the reply! and the whole engine is shot now because we drove it with the bad cylinder thinking the reason we were low on power was because there was something wrong with the distributer. It blew up on me one day...just died on me. we were going to buy a refurbished engine from a reliable place with a good reputation! Hopefully we can figure it all out!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:20 PM

Sorry to hear that. Well they did make 2.8L inline diesel, but I have no idea about swapping it, if that's something you're still considering.... It would either make a great project or a one-way ticket to the looney bin, you decide.

Hey, I was wondering if you could post a picture of your ride? I'd like to see what the outside looks like, at least

Old 08-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Default 86 montero Anybody interested? Good home a must!

my 86 montero runs. For a long time I thought it was an 87 because that is when I bought it new. Fairly new tires that look decent and get thru anything. A/C blows cold air. Under-carriage rust. Black with grey interior. Some horses scratched the hood a little bit when in a field once, and another horse pulled the spare tire cover off. Second engine at around 68,000 miles, now has 170,000ish and still going. Gaskets just replaced and valves. New brakes. New clutch pump. Even got a new antenna and a Chilton's manual.
This montero is the arch-enemy of mud water and snow. And I never got stuck anywhere.
I hate to give it up, but I have too many cars.