Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Engine Number on Montero/Shogun Sport Equippe

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 04:05 AM
Default Engine Number on Montero/Shogun Sport Equippe

Hi all can anyone help me please. I am having problems with the MOT station here in Spain. They will not pass my Montero Sport until they can have confirmation that the engine number ties up with the Log book. Does anyone know its exact whereabouts on the engine. I have a Shogun/Montero Sport 2.5.

Hope someone out there can help urgently as we only have 3 days left before having to pay 120 euros again for the MOT.

Thanking you all in advance.

Teresa

Old 08-01-2013, 04:18 AM
Banned

Grab a mirror, a flashlight, and have a gander. Can't be that difficult.

So what happens when you replace an engine? They tell you to **** off?

Old 08-01-2013, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sebba
Grab a mirror, a flashlight, and have a gander. Can't be that difficult.

So what happens when you replace an engine? They tell you to **** off?
Of course I have done this already. That's why I am asking if anyone knows for sure exactly where the number is. It is embodied and I am told in very small digits.

As for replacing the engine. God knows! They are so Jobsworth over here, even Mitsubishi Spain have said it's unbelievable.

But all this aside, the MOT station will not shift until they have all numbers corresponding with the Log Book. Reckon they don't trust the English or what?

Old 08-01-2013, 05:10 AM
Banned

Beats me, perhaps they've forgotten their own history Likely because the jobless, parasitic, thieving types like to nick, strip, and flog bits off of cars that don't belong to them. I had the same problem in England, actually. They do the exact same thing, especially with a rare import!

If I'm not mistaken, the VIN should be stamped on the back of the block somewhere. Likely under years of grime, so grab a strong solvent and a rag. Should be an obviously flat rectangular location.

EDIT: Figured I should clarify this will have to be accessed from under the vehicle.

Last edited by Sebba; 08-01-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:37 AM

Ok thanks, at least I am a bit the wiser, I was told that it could be seen from under the bonnet, figure that's where I'm going wrong. So, as I have no lifting gear, it looks like it's a job for a mechanic, and at the prices they charge here, I reckon I could have bought a new Spanish one cheaper than pay the mechanic!! Don't suppose anyone would have a picture of one on an engine?

Old 08-01-2013, 05:45 AM
Banned

I've tried to locate an image of one myself to no avail. Surely the goons at the MOT station have had hands on enough cars to know where to look.... surely?

The only stamped numbers visible from under the bonnet should be the engine code, which only tells you what engine it is, and that's located usually left or right of the exhaust.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 AM
Banned

I retract my previous statement.

I believe the engine code pertaining to that engine is 4D56 (the 2.5L Turbo Diesel). Above, you see the reverse side of a bare block with a rectangular identification plate smack under where the intake manifold will sit. Quite possibly the least convenient place for it.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:10 AM

Wow thanks sebba, yes it is 4D56 and yes you are right, they could have put it in a more convenient place. So it is an actual plate and not indented into the metal?
Will keep you updated, thank you again.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:12 AM
Banned

Oh no, it's stamped into the casting. My apologies for my inaccurate terminology.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:49 AM

Hi sebba, have found it and thank goodness it is clear and rust free. Thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply: Engine Number on Montero/Shogun Sport Equippe