Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Exact size of Interior screws...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Default Exact size of Interior screws...

I am replacing the screws that hold in the rails that support the rear compartment shade with eye hooks. This will allow me to attach carabiners, and bungee cords to secure cargo. Anyway, does anybody know the exact size of that screw? I was unsuccessful at home depot trying to exactly identify it.
2000 Montero Sport LS.
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:55 PM

I was going to make some lame joke about screwing in the back of a Montero, but decided against it for obvious reasons. I wish I could help you; if I had a model with a sunshade, I'd go out, get one of those screws, measure it with a micrometer and at least you'd have some dimensions to work with, but my vintage model didn't come niceties like cargo shading. I like your idea for bungee attachments, though. Can never have too many bungees back there in my opinion.

Plenty of folks with Sport models around here. Anyone feeling brave & willing to help a guy out?

dawgfan, I'm surprised that you couldn't make any headway at HD since they usually have those fastener measuring thingys in the hardware isle. Mitsubishi must have spec'd themselves some really unique screws, huh?

Old 04-24-2011, 12:32 PM

I've found all MM hardware to be metric.
Bring a screw with you to HD.
Diameter, length, and thread pitch should be investigated.
Also check on the coase or fine thread spec. with screw in hand.

Good Luck

Old 04-25-2011, 08:44 AM

I did take a screw to HD, the panel they have to match up your screws was really worn, so I couldn't get a great fit. What I'll do is get close and then order some hooks based on those guesses. It's only a few bucks, and I'm sure I'll eventually use them later. If I think of it, I'll reply back with the exact fit.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 AM

I believe Home Depot has deep enough pockets to be able to afford some decent bolt and screw measuring devices in their store. Bring this to the manager's attention next time you're in there. You'll be doing every guy like you that comes in there later a favor, believe me.

I for one am curious now. By all means report back on the size of those screws.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:49 PM

Success! It is a m5 x .8. that's 5mm x .8 something (threads/mm?). Now to google up 5mm x .8 eye bolt and see what happens. If anybody beats me to a nice selection of eyebolts, lemme know.

I did take off one of the shade "rails", there is a fairly ugly exposed hole there that it normally covers, I will likely leave the rail there, which will require a longer bolt, but I'll also keep that little hook.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:07 PM

Thanks for reporting back, dawg. And congrats on your success!

Old 04-26-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by dawgfanjeff
Success! It is a m5 x .8. that's 5mm x .8 something (threads/mm?). Now to google up 5mm x .8 eye bolt and see what happens. If anybody beats me to a nice selection of eyebolts, lemme know.

I did take off one of the shade "rails", there is a fairly ugly exposed hole there that it normally covers, I will likely leave the rail there, which will require a longer bolt, but I'll also keep that little hook.
The .8mm dimension is the distance between threads, not the pitch. Try http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/m5-eye-bolt.html and see if there's anything there you're looking for.