Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

FAQ: How to Fix/Repair Sunroof Moonroof on 2001-2006 Montero

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 11:21 AM

Does anyone have any insight on greasing and lubricating the sunroof on the 2001-2006 full-size Montero?
I've got an '02 that had a miscalibrated sunroof for a while which let some moisture and dirt in. I recalibrated, but it seems that the whole thing could use some grease to keep things moving smoothly.
Any advice other than to just look for moving parts?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:32 AM

Use white lithium grease on moving parts and run the roof open/close several times. Wipe off excess of lubrication and you should be good for a long time.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:25 PM

Does this procedure apply to the 91-99 Monteros? I think its the same sunroof used on the 00-02 models???

I saw the comment about adjusting the sunroof so the rear pops-up flush to the roof line. I have three 94 Montero SRs, and the rear of the sunroofs on all of them sits about a half inch lower than the roof line. None leak water, and I believe this is the correct position.

Here are some pics

About half inch lower on back edge of sunroof (when closed):

Another with about half inch gap on rear edge:

But front edges are flush with the roofline:

Another with about half inch gap on the rear edge:

Does anyone know for certain if the rear edge was flush to the roof metal on these when the vehicles were new? I hate to go through the adjusting process if its not necessary.......as long as they are not leaking, I think this lower half inch rear space is fine.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:16 AM

Thanks HunterD. This forum is a life saver. I thought I just needed to lube the sunroof up, but digging for that info lead me through the info about motor mount bolts falling out (which I ended up having to deal with) and the reprogramming (which I had to deal with). Really appreciate everyone willing to share their time and experience on here, and in such a timely manner.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:18 AM

This probably doesn't help, but the rear edge of the safari roof on my '02 Limited sits a little below flush, but not quite that much. Seems pretty consistent on all those photos you posted though.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:19 AM

1960StudebakerHawk

This probably doesn't help, but the rear edge of the safari roof on my '02 Limited sits a little below flush, but not quite that much. Seems pretty consistent on all those photos you posted though.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:48 PM

Logantanner.......Yep, pretty consistent on my 94 Monteros......and if they dont leak, no need in adjusting them, in my opinion. However, I did clean the rubber seal around the sunroof, and then applied warm mineral oil, and did it in the warm sunshine so the oil would absorb better. I think that helps to restore the vitality into the old rubber seals.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:03 PM
Default Fixed it!!

[QUOTE=Simpsonsinspokane;320693]i needed this and the guidance was effective and timely!

a couple tiny tips: the center light in the headliner needs to come out and it took a way too long for me to figure out. It is really simple after all: just pry down the clear lense of the light and then you will see the two screws to back out!

Also, the clips that the inside end of the mirror clips into can be removed by inserting a 6mm Allen wrench to release the tabs. At least that is what the manual says and I only checked the manual after using multiple screw drivers to release tabs and breaking one of them. So give the 6mm approach a try!!

+1 on the extremely detailed OP as well as your hints about the center light (and especially the 6mm trick - just slide it in and turn a quarter-turn or so to release tabs). Mine needed no recalibration, and is back to working perfectly. I added Loctite as mentioned elsewhere, cuz I'm not planning to do this operation again!

Old 09-21-2019, 12:05 PM

[QUOTE=Chappy Germ;328155]
Originally Posted by Simpsonsinspokane
i needed this and the guidance was effective and timely!

a couple tiny tips: the center light in the headliner needs to come out and it took a way too long for me to figure out. It is really simple after all: just pry down the clear lense of the light and then you will see the two screws to back out!

Also, the clips that the inside end of the mirror clips into can be removed by inserting a 6mm Allen wrench to release the tabs. At least that is what the manual says and I only checked the manual after using multiple screw drivers to release tabs and breaking one of them. So give the 6mm approach a try!!

+1 on the extremely detailed OP as well as your hints about the center light (and especially the 6mm trick - just slide it in and turn a quarter-turn or so to release tabs). Mine needed no recalibration, and is back to working perfectly. I added Loctite as mentioned elsewhere, cuz I'm not planning to do this operation again!

Wish I had read this before breaking the clips on my sun visor mirror mounts, lol! Good news is I found exact fit replacements on ebay shipped for $12.
Item description: "MR779704 Sun Visor Hook Grey Gray For Mitsubishi Pajero Montero III 2000-2006"

Old 02-21-2020, 12:20 PM
Default Pajero 2008 sunroof problem

Hello guys.

My pajero sunroof is not opening. I tightened already all 3 screws. But still not opening. tilt button is workinh and also closing,only opening is the problem. Please help and advise

Quick Reply: FAQ: How to Fix/Repair Sunroof Moonroof on 2001-2006 Montero