Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

FAQ/Info, Deck Stereo install, Relocating AC controls to lowest din pocket

Old 09-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Thumbs up FAQ/Info, Deck Stereo install, Relocating AC controls to lowest din pocket

Alright, so you get a nice double din deck, or you simply just want to move the AC controls to the lowest din so it looks cleaner.

Here is the honest truth on doing this, it is not as easy as you think. There is a lot of tedious work.

If you are doing all this, you might as well install a nice stereo because the effort/labor on doing it while still keeping the stock weak radio will not seem worth it in the end.

First step is to remove the dash trim. There are 2 philips screws right above the info unit. After removing those, get a flat head and work your way around the trim to loosen it some. Now some will be intimidated by the next part but it is necessary to be done. After you removed the 2 screws, the only other thing holding this piece in place are clubs and tabs. You simply have to use some force until it snaps off. Don't pull to far because the harness for the Hazard lights are connected. Detach it and you can continue to install your stereo if you do not want to relocate the AC controls.

-----

So you got a double din stereo and it is necessary to relocate the ac control.

You can start to remove the AC control, its only held on by 4 philips screws, remove the harnesses and vac line connected to it from behind.

This is where it gets tough. You will need to dissemble that entire center area with the shifter. I am only speaking in memory. And will try to state some tips. Do not try to force anything because you will break something. The shift ***** HAVE to be removed. The 4WD selector is just screwed on, so just unscrew it. The gear selector however is held on by 2 screws. You will need to pry the bottom trim down, which will reveal the 2 philips screws holding it in to place. After that is removed you have to pry the cup holders out which will reveal more screws. After removing this section, this will reveal the 2 screws which is holding the trim that connects the surround of the din pocket to the bottom half. After removing this, you will then be able to access the 4 philips screws holding the pocket. Remove it and put the ac controls into place and attach it's connections back. Don't worry even though it's in a lower area, the wires and hose is long enough to reach.

FAQ/Info, Deck Stereo install, Relocating AC controls to lowest din pocket-stereo02.jpg
FAQ/Info, Deck Stereo install, Relocating AC controls to lowest din pocket-stereo03.jpg

Test everything before you put it all back. And just do the reverse process that you did.

What would have been nice is to move the info screen to the 2nd row (where stock stereo and ac use to be), and then put your aftermarket stereo in there. It would be optimal because it has a visor to shield from glare. However after trying this it wouldnt work because the depth of the control unit is shallow and there is not much room back there to push any stereo far enough to mount. Other problems I believe I saw were mounting points of the bracket, etc. I'm sure it could be done but with more work.

Anyways, the resulting outcome is still nice.

FAQ/Info, Deck Stereo install, Relocating AC controls to lowest din pocket-stereo01.jpg
FAQ/Info, Deck Stereo install, Relocating AC controls to lowest din pocket-stereo04.jpg

Old 03-15-2012, 12:00 AM

Wow, this is exactly what I wanted to know. Very helpful to see that it is possible to install a new double din in my Montero and move the AC controls down. Thanks for posting!