Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 08:09 PM
Default Front suspension

I finally had time to address few things on my Monty. My original brake components (calipers and pistons) got sufficiently corroded after all the years, that the left front caliper was starting to drag. Instead of trying to rebuild the pistons myself, I opted in to replace the whole caliper/hanging braked units on both front sides. I'm very glad I did - old components were much more worn out than I originally thought. The new calipers glide on the sliding bolts and center very nicely now. Brakes are good and firm and no longer grinding or hanging up. While I was under there I checked suspension components and noticed that my lower control arm bushings are pretty bad on one side (visible movement of one end of control arm). That explains why I keep getting a funky tire wear on front wheels. So at this point I'm starting to shop for new control arms. Before ordering new parts, I wanted to check if anyone is aware of possibility of replacing just the bushings on the front lower control arms (2001 full size Monty). I'm wondering if it is possible to press out the old bushings out and install new ones. Anyone has done anything like this? Do you have a source for just the bushings? All parts catalogs/websites I've seen so far, list only complete aftermarket control arms. Nobody has just the bushings. I guess my problem or dilemma is - is it worth trying to save the Mitsubishi control arm in the first place? I live in the part of the country where the rust is not an issue. There is no rust on the original control arms at this point, just barely a discoloration from age. That is why I'm looking to possibly salvage the bullet proof OEM Mitsubishi control arm. I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Old 08-05-2021, 06:53 PM

I recently checked Rock Auto for upper and lower control arms. They are so cheap to purchase (with bushings) that I would
not even bother trying to restore. Maybe someone else has a different opinion but brand new with fresh paint really seems to
be the way to go.

Old 08-06-2021, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by crazy99
I recently checked Rock Auto for upper and lower control arms. They are so cheap to purchase (with bushings) that I would
not even bother trying to restore. Maybe someone else has a different opinion but brand new with fresh paint really seems to
be the way to go.
That is kind of what I'm leaning to at this point. After some additional searching I did find just the bushings for Montero Lower control arms from CARiD. There appear to be two different kinds of them - one for front and one for the rear of the control arm. But I think I may get complete control arms from RockAuto and Put them in. After that (and when the vehicle is back on the road) I can see if the old bushings can even be pressed out. If the original control arms look good, I may try to refurbish them with new bushings and keep them in case cheap ones develop some defect, or if I manage to bust them in the near future

Old 08-06-2021, 11:12 AM

Always a good idea to keep the old parts if you have the space. I have most of my old stuff, except for ball joints and such which are useless once broken. But removing the ole grease fitting can be a handy item when in need !

Old 02-15-2022, 08:50 PM

The weather finally got a tiny bit better and I had a chance to work on replacing my front lower control arms. I have to say - getting old ones off was a beast of a job. Two of the adjusting bolts have seized up inside of the bushings and would not come out no matter what. I tried to use heat, persuasion (big hammer...) and they would not budge. In the end I had to cut out those bolts on each side of the bushing in order to remove control arm. Those bolts are BIG and almost feels like they are somewhat hardened. I had to make 4 total cuts (2 ends on two bolts) and I went through 8 reciprocating blades. I'm very glad two other bolts came out without having to cut them.
It definitely helps to remove the wheel knuckle completely to get better access to a better cutting angle.
As you can see the bushings are gone, but there is not much rust on those original arms after 259k