Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Default Fuel Mileage

I have a 2003 montero sport with a v6. I am getting horrible fuel mileage. Does anybody else have this problem? I am getting approximately 10-12 miles to the gallon. Is that normal? Any help would be appreciated.

Oscar

Old 01-11-2008, 07:18 AM
Default RE: Fuel Mileage

Yep, you definitely have a problem. My Montero Limited gets 18mpg in mixed hilly/country road/city driving, and 22 mpg when all highway. I even have a 2 inch lift and bigger tires.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/712331

Old 01-11-2008, 10:54 AM

I have an 03 limited and we only get ~12 mpg mostly city driving with lots of hills. Gas mileage has sucked from day one. Filling up usually puts the computer at ~355 mile range on a tank. I doubt montero1's experience is the norm if it was and the truck could achieve 18/22 mpg, mitsu probably would not have not stopped importing to US since fuel economy and EPA standards of the entire fleet are considered one of the factors in killing it! Montero1 when you fill up, what range does your computer say?

Also, CA puts ~8% ethanol in the fuel for smog. Ethanol has less BTU/volume than gas. I have seen fuel economy drop 2-3 mpg in the winter because the refineries are forced to add a higher % of ethanol in fuel. I think - not certain - that sticker price fuel economy is 100% good ole gasoline... Most other states add higher % ethanol in fuel in winter. Its there in the summer as well - probably closer to 5-6%. So as consumers we are getting ripped off...

I bet if mitsu put a V8 in these trucks, they would actually improve mpg. I know these SUVs are heavy, but 1/2ton pickups are now getting close to 20 mpg in the city and >20 on the highway. They do it but putting V8s in them with plenty of torque so you dont need as many RPMs...

BTW, montero1 - I like your new wheels - are those the newer OEMs? Those running boards and lift kits are cool too - where did you get them? Id like to do that with mine someday.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Banned

Do you have a check engine light?

Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 PM

No check engine light. i live in eugene oregon approximately 85 miles from the oregon coast. If I fill up in Eugene and drive to the coast, I have to fill up again to get back home. The terrain is fairly flat with a couple hills to climb along the way. Please anybody help me.

Oscar.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Default TJ90........

I don't even look at the range on the cheesy gas meter. I know I get 400 miles per tank and refill with 22 gallons. Consistently.

This is mostly 1 lane country roads, around 50 mph average, with about 48 out of 540 weekly miles being "city". My last two long distance trips, I got 485 miles for 22 gallons.

I run Amsoil in engine, trans, both diffs, transfer case. I keep my tires inflated to 35 psi. Change Air filter every 15k.
YOU HAVE TO USE SUPER UNLEADED!! When I've used even "plus", my MPG dropped to slightly below 16 mpg, I can't even imagine what it would be if you're using regular. This is the case in most cars- you actually lose money trying to use cheaper gas.

Rims I bought off of Tire rack, they are AT Italia "Off Roads". If I could do it all over again, I would have gotten the Stock rims from the 01-02 Limited- even the ones from the 05-06 models look better than the 03-04s.

Lift kit I got from http://www.rocky-road.com/.

It seems like all the SUV's out there are so much smaller now. If I pull next to another Montero, big difference and way more stable when taking sharp turns.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:19 AM

ORIGINAL: tj90

Montero1 when you fill up, what range does your computer say?

Just filled up, says 422 miles.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:51 AM

Mine never is over 400 miles - closer to 360. The computer is actually supposed to base your range on what you got the last tank. We run super unleaded but its mostly hilly city driving which I think kills us... Tire pressure and all 60k maintenance recently done so I know the motor is running as efficiently as it can. I have a bike rack which probably adds some drag, but would never get me to 22 mpg. What state are you in?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:00 PM

I have a 99 montero sport limited 3.5L only averages 12 mpg also replaced a coouple of sensors when service engine pop up but still same mileage. everything is working fine except for the occasional shudder at 35-40 mph but dont know if that has anything to do with consumption...

Old 01-15-2008, 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: tj90

Mine never is over 400 miles - closer to 360. The computer is actually supposed to base your range on what you got the last tank. We run super unleaded but its mostly hilly city driving which I think kills us... Tire pressure and all 60k maintenance recently done so I know the motor is running as efficiently as it can. I have a bike rack which probably adds some drag, but would never get me to 22 mpg. What state are you in?
I'm in MD. I still think the worst I've gotten is 14 mpg in the city. My commute on the way to work is mostly uphill, but on the way home, even though it is more downhill, it's during more stop and go traffic. I couldn't belive the last trip I took in the Summer when I got 22mpg. I thought there wasa mistake, but two tanks in a row confirms it.

A few years back, I remember going to FLA down 95 south and I never even got to 19mpg. Thatmay have been due to me using cheaper gas because thats when all the hurricanes drove gas up to 3.50 a gallon.

I use Amsoil throughout the truck, and it has only slightly under 40k.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage