Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Fuel pressure regulator - 03 Montero Sport 3.5L

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 07:34 AM
Default Fuel pressure regulator - 03 Montero Sport 3.5L

any secrets on how to replace the fuel pressure regulator?

symptoms
1 - occasional gas fumes when slowing down and sometimes at a long idle, like in a drive thru line or long traffic light.
2 - does not start after sitting overnight unless gas pedal is applied first, starts fine after warm or recently driven

I have not observed any fuel leaks. No codes are being thrown.

Car is running great overall but requires a gas pedal once before starting after sitting overnight

no smell at speed

only seem to notice after it’s been warmed up and run a while

Last edited by taybrynn2; 04-01-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:07 AM

SOME DIAGRAMS - from 2003 3.5L manual
A close up from manual
Shows the location of fuel pressure regulator in relation to the fuel rail ... and shows the o-rings on each side

Old 04-02-2018, 09:18 AM

Drove it again last night, noticed the gas fumes as one stop light ... nobody else at the light, so couldn't blame anything else.

I'm going to try replacing the fuel pressure regulator, as it doesn't appear too bad to do so.

If problems persist, I will need to try replacing the o-rings on the fuel injectors.

I have to drive to Utah Thursday, so I am under some pressure to resolve or ignore.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:15 PM

Ok, to followup ... I ordered the intermotor part from rockauto for the fuel pressure regulator ... and it was an exact OEM replacement for the one I removed. Only difference was part number on it and its sticker was blue instead of red/maroon on the original part.

I only had to remove the little bracket with the two levels on it and 4 10mm bolts. And was able to remove the 2 bolts on regulator itself with a short extension and from the front ... by montero standards, super easy job.
I could not remove it vertically, so I removed the fuel line hose and the smaller plenum hose ... and pulled the old part out the front, under the large silver thing. Put the new one in the same way, and you have to tilt it just right to get it back in there. I put mine back in the the larger fuel hose already clamped to it, then attached (with some struggle) the smaller plenum hose that isn't clamped.

I found there was basically no pressure on this part when I removed it, I probably should have depressurize but didn't and it had been sitting for over a day ... and it turned out upon removal, there was a small hole in the small hose that connects to the plenum .. the hole on the hose was where the smaller hose connected to the regulator. So I got a new fuel hose and a new smaller hose and connected them both and it ran SO much better (and started FASTER) also, even with the fuel having to re-pressurize. I am really hoping this was the cause of the fuel fumes and makes sense it would leak out a bit once I stopped and kind of amazing the injectors worked at all with this condition.

So I go out and idle it for 20 min ... relearning the idle for the 10th time ... and I notice its purring like a kitten ... BUT, there is a tiny amount of coolant on the engine block in this same vicinity ... and I can see the short coolant hose is now leaking. Just a tiny leak, drops total ... nothing on the ground.

So off to get that hose replaced also and new hose clamps.

I think replacing all these hoses and clamps at 150k miles seems pretty necessary ... and cheap to do.

Last edited by taybrynn2; 04-04-2018 at 03:26 PM.