Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Fun in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 10:22 PM

That was highly insensitive of me, I apologize. I do hope that I have not offended you. I am truly sorry.
-I looked into them. The reviews are reasonable, and the listed prices are pretty decent. Oh how exciting to pay less that 150 per tire. (my other cars... Smh
..phew does it get costly)
I work at a Mitsubishi dealership, and it's always good to have a valid outside option from an actual consumer, rather than the testament of each retailer. I appreciate the insight.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:32 PM

No - not at all!
Compared to the other tires in my size, all the others had something negative going for them - I wanted to feel secure since I drive about 30K miles a year, and didn't want to have something happen within a year, as it were.
The price was also a good balance - in the middle - at $472 shipped on the set.
It's good, also, to have an actual dealership employee's input as well.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:42 PM

If you have relatively new tires they will be reasonable. Once they start getting old you will have issues in the more extreme cases. I got stuck a few times, spun out and had issues in my own messy driveway on the older all season tires on my car.

I since got a cheap set of winters and things are much improved. I'm sure a new set of All seasons would help a lot but the S-AWC system doesn't help you stop better on ice.

I will still be sticking to Winter / "summer" tires even if it costs a few bucks more.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:58 PM

That makes sense. We sell very few seasonal tires here. Primarily it's all all weather tire requested. Since I'm driving this newer model, it's hard to say what service for tires will really look like until the oems start needing replacing. I'll keep these ones in mind and post more onceni cross that bridge. For now, happy driving, stay safe in the snow!

Old 01-24-2016, 11:02 PM

I'll report back on how these do, too - so far, so good - and they've done very well on ice actually. How often do you rotate / balance / do alignments?
Stay safe, too!

Old 01-25-2016, 01:44 PM

We recommend rotate at every oil change for the newer models since they go so long in between services. But the standard has always been every other oil change get a rotate. But then again, that depends on which tires our customers have. If they can be cross rotated, if they are directional, if they are symmetrical tread etc.. How often they drive, how frequent they service. It's one of those grey areas In a lot of ways. I personally rotate every other time since I do not put miles on, and only have a two mile commute daily. I have customers who service only one time a year (don't do that!!!!) who rotate every time....

Old 01-25-2016, 01:47 PM

Thank you very much!
The Falkens are not symmetrical - so I'm not sure how that works - but I'll ask for it to be done at each oil change - appreciate it!
(BTW - how important is continuing to use synthetic oil?) My mechanic did the first oil change and used regular oil by accident - and said it would be OK.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:04 PM

You will be okay. We have heard of this Happening way more than once. The thing is, don't flip flop. Of you chose full synthetic it really isn't good for your engine or components to switch back. I know that sounds sales pitchy, but it is true. For now, you are okay, but once you go back to full synthetic stay that way. Avoid unnecessary issues for now and the future. Remember, these cars are built to outlast.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:06 PM

Makes sense - that is what I figured - thank you!