Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

The Future of my 2003 Montero...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 07:20 PM
Default The Future of my 2003 Montero...

So I've had my 2003 Montero Limited 25th Anniversary for almost 4 years now and it has honestly been one of my favorite vehicles I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few. I've camped with my RTT in NC and have taken countless rode trips and now I have it and enjoy it in HI for the same reason. It's about 3k miles shy of 200k benchmark and I can see some age in the vehicle. Since ownership I've replaced all brakes and rotors, sub, added a BT head unit, a hub bearing, new tires, battery, fixed 4wd solenoid, oil changes, and the big spark plug, timing belt and gasket service. The car still drives well and I never take it above 65/70 but I still get decent gas mileage and I just love the thing. I have a year left in Hawaii and by then I will probably have about 205k miles on it. I am in the military so moving back to mainland I have the option to ship 1 car for free, however my wife just got a new car and I would have to be out of pocket for the second, which is how we originally got her car here from NC in the 1st place and they shipped the Mont here for free since it was the heavier one I chose that route.

We are looking to move to Colorado next and I'm on the fence on weather I should look into selling it here on island for maybe 3500-3000ish and using the money to search for a lower mileage Mont say maybe something under 100k or close to it, or paying about 1500-2k to have my wife's car shipped back that way I can keep my 2003 Mont.

I am taking in consideration however I will have to then put some cash into the Mont. I do leak some oil and am not quite sure of the cause but I tent to add 1qt of oil every 1k miles. I will most likely need 4x new tires within the next year esp in the snow of Colorado, I'll probably need new brakes or at least pads within 1-1.5 years, and I think I'm still rocking original shocks and struts and bushings. I would love to also hear options to have maybe the motor overhauled and cleaned up some but I know that will just add to the cost.

This is one of those vehicles that just goes and runs, it's banged up got some rust here and there but at it's sole it's just a great great SUV and I'm a little sad to part with it even though financially it would maybe make more sense. Some of the work I could do myself over the next year to cut cost down and prepare to keep it, or just maintain it as is and sell before I leave.

Would love to hear some feedback or options.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:11 AM
DZD

That's a tough decision - I have a 2006 Limited - last year offered in the US - I love it - I probably would keep it because I wouldn't know the history of any that I may consider purchasing used. Have you looked on cars.com or auto trader to see how many are in the Colorado area and their condition? Good luck with the decision.