Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Gen 2 montero, stiffer rear springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 07:57 PM
Default Gen 2 montero, stiffer rear springs?

Hey everyone, new member here. I just joined the club with a 1995 montero LS. 3.0 engine, manual, and no rear locker, but I've gotten 22 mpg highway loaded down which has me stoked!

Loaded down, what do I mean? I've got a hitch carrier for my enduro, so I have almost 300 lbs hanging off of the back. That combined with my tools/gear/food etc. in the trunk sags the rear of my Monty way down.

My question: Anyone know of stiffer rear springs I can swap in? I'm not trying to lift the vehicle, I like the stock ride height. I realize that stiffer springs will lead to slightly higher right when unloaded, but I'd like to compensate and bring the truck back to level when loaded. I've considered reducing the front height to get it level, but I'd prefer not to lower the entire vehicle.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 10-06-2019, 09:30 PM

Your best option might be Old Man Emu (OME) springs. they do come in different stiffness based on the load you intend to carry. You may want to upgrade both front and rear at the same time. What you can do is put stiffer springs in the back and one step "lighter" ones in front. that will keep vehicle level in most situations loaded and unloaded. Check ARBusa.com to check what options they have for your vehicle.

Old 10-13-2019, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Spacecowboy
Hey everyone, new member here. I just joined the club with a 1995 montero LS. 3.0 engine, manual, and no rear locker, but I've gotten 22 mpg highway loaded down which has me stoked!

Loaded down, what do I mean? I've got a hitch carrier for my enduro, so I have almost 300 lbs hanging off of the back. That combined with my tools/gear/food etc. in the trunk sags the rear of my Monty way down.

My question: Anyone know of stiffer rear springs I can swap in? I'm not trying to lift the vehicle, I like the stock ride height. I realize that stiffer springs will lead to slightly higher right when unloaded, but I'd like to compensate and bring the truck back to level when loaded. I've considered reducing the front height to get it level, but I'd prefer not to lower the entire vehicle.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Congrats on another 95' Manual. I have one as well!

Sorry I can't help with the springs question. I think Hunter is right on with the OME.