Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Gen I 89 Pajero Auto Hubs Constantly Locked

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Default Gen I 89 Pajero Auto Hubs Constantly Locked

Hello, I have a 89 Mitsubishi Montero (Dodge Raider/Pajero) with part-time 4-wheel-drive.

The problem I have is that the wheel hubs remain locked all the time, no matter what position it's supposed to be in (4L/4H/2H). It's not just the light on the dashboard, I can feel the hubs are locked when I turn in 4H. It should remain unlocked unless in 4L, but I can't figure out how to fix this problem. Does anyone know what the transfer case fluid for this model is? If anyone can help me on where to look or what to do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:28 AM
Default RE: Gen I 89 Pajero Auto Hubs Constantly Locked

ORIGINAL: alexxei

Hello, I have a 89 Mitsubishi Montero (Dodge Raider/Pajero) with part-time 4-wheel-drive.

The problem I have is that the wheel hubs remain locked all the time, no matter what position it's supposed to be in (4L/4H/2H). It's not just the light on the dashboard, I can feel the hubs are locked when I turn in 4H. It should remain unlocked unless in 4L, but I can't figure out how to fix this problem.
If it's an 89 then it stays locked unless you go into reverse or go into 2H and put it into reverse (2-3 meters).

If it stays locked even after putting it in 2H and going in reverse (2-3 meters) then your hubs are toast. They need to be repaired/rebuild (noparts available) or replaced (with either used, good auto locking hubs or manual superwinch hubs).

Does anyone know what the transfer case fluid for this model is? If anyone can help me on where to look or what to do, it would be greatly appreciated.
The xcase fluid is standard gear oil (90 weight). There are fill & drain bolts on the xcase iirc.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:21 AM

It still stays locked after putting into 2H and going in reverse. Is it possible that replacing the transfer case fluid will help the problem? Will any hub work, or does it have to be for that model? Is the auto hub better than the manual hub?

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:15 AM

NOPE. Xcase fluid has nothing to do with hub function. They're totally independent of each other in that respect.

Disassemble and clean your hubs is the answer here. I'd be willing to bet your monty that's it... although your hubs may already be toast. If so, then you'll need new ones.