Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

GEN I fans share yor stories!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 11:01 PM
Default GEN I fans share yor stories!

I've always liked the square boxy style of the Gen I and finally found one in decent shape here in San Diego. It runs but has a bad tranny. The inside is kinda gross with what resembles years of spilled cokes and dog hair.
Of course the carpet has gone from a camel color to a strange molted brown hue, oh yea, and the seats are covered in black duct tape... with a strange word on the back seat, in RED duct tape "ASROMA" must be a cult thing but, for a classic like this...I felt the price was doable. So, I'm hoping to start a conversation with like minded first Gen Monty people and swap stories, ideas, tips and parts suppliers. Even better if we could all get together for a run once in awhile
While I'm waiting to find a junk yard donor for the tranny, I've started stripping down the front end replacing the bushings, CV's, shocks (they look original!) rotors ect.
Anyway, good luck to all you Panjero lovers out there and hope to hear from you soon!
PJ from so Cal

Old 06-19-2016, 10:54 AM

Wow really , are there no GEN 1 fans out there?

Old 06-19-2016, 11:00 PM

I had a blue 1990 and it was awesome. 3.0 gas and gutless wonder. First one. Got it for like $1,500 with 180,000 miles on it.

Sold it just because I got nervous it smoked so much on idle. That was dumb...they all do that with 175k+ on them lol.

I've started collecting the Gen3 models bc I can find them for $2,500 and under and they look modern and seat 7...I have 3 kids, lol. Read between the lines. I like the old Gen 1 better though.