Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Grille Guard Options for '92 Montero?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Default Grille Guard Options for '92 Montero?

I'm looking for a grille guard for my 1992 Montero. I don't want a really expensive unit, just a "sacrificial" guard in case I hit a deer. This is my older 4X4 and I only carry basic insurance, so I'm just trying to avoid major body work if I encounter one of our local mule deer.

Does anyone know where I can find one? Any specific recommendations? Any advice is appreciated!

Old 03-30-2009, 03:17 PM

im kind of in the same boat on a 90 montero sport... so im with this guy... if anyone knows any places let him and me know.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:09 AM

I found a stainless steel grille guard locally, but I really want black. I also don't want to spend $300 on one. It looks like I may just have to build one that meets my needs. Does anyone have pictures of a bumper/grille guard they have built?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:09 AM

I found a grille guard today. I have no idea what it was on originally, how old it is, or who made it. It has a little damage on the bottom which is no big deal. The basic platform is in good condition, the brush guards wrap around the front perfectly and the headlight holes line up. I'll probably cut the bottom portion off and make my own "bumper" section and mounts.

I figure a little time with a torch and welder and it will work out well. When I'm finished I'll paint it black or use Rino Lining spray.

Total investment so far: $20.

Last edited by sock puppet; 04-02-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Arrow

Here are pictures of my factory grille guard, which was an optional extra:

I have no idea who made it, but I can try and get a part number if it is of interest. If you want pictures of anything specific to help customise yours to fit, I can post those as well. Let me know.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:14 PM

Thanks for posting pictures of yours, it looks great!

I stopped at a salvage yard today to look for little extras, and found a '95 Montero with a grille guard on it. It had been in an accident, and one of the side brush guards is damaged. The center section is very heavy duty and is in good shape. I bought it for $50 with all mounting brackets.

I'll remove the side brush guards from the other one I bought and attach them to the new center section. This should really speed up the process! So far I have $70 invested which isn't too bad. After posting wanted ads and looking all over for a complete grille guard with no success, I'm happy to at least have a solution.

It will be a while before I have time to work on it, but I'll post pics when it's done.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:54 PM

Thank you for the kind words. Best of luck with the process, $50 sounds like a really good price with the brackets, considering these things cost in excess of $400 for an OEM. I'm looking forward to your pictures!

Old 04-14-2009, 09:10 AM

i talked to a gentleman at the wrecking yard today that has a 90 dodge raider (same thing as my montero just his is a 4 cyl) he informed me that if you are looking for just the bull bars you can use those off of a gm pickup truck. i guess the frame rails are spaced the same distance apart so it bolts right up. i will do more investigation into this and let you know what i come up with.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by downhillspec
i talked to a gentleman at the wrecking yard today that has a 90 dodge raider (same thing as my montero just his is a 4 cyl) he informed me that if you are looking for just the bull bars you can use those off of a gm pickup truck. i guess the frame rails are spaced the same distance apart so it bolts right up. i will do more investigation into this and let you know what i come up with.
Thanks! If I cant get the bars off the other guard I have to work, I'll look into the GM bars.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by sock puppet
I found a grille guard today. I have no idea what it was on originally, how old it is, or who made it. It has a little damage on the bottom which is no big deal. The basic platform is in good condition, the brush guards wrap around the front perfectly and the headlight holes line up. I'll probably cut the bottom portion off and make my own "bumper" section and mounts.

I figure a little time with a torch and welder and it will work out well. When I'm finished I'll paint it black or use Rino Lining spray.

Total investment so far: $20.
I was also looking for one for my 91 montero ..I wanted the all black grill with white Mitsubishi letters on it found one online however it's quite damaged.. the brush guard does not fit around perfectly.. I think I feel like giving up hope looking for the grille guard that I really want. It's a good thing that you've found yours already..

Last edited by michaelross; 09-28-2009 at 11:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Grille Guard Options for '92 Montero?