Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Grinding Noise In Lower Gears, 2003 Montero LTD

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Default Grinding Noise In Lower Gears, 2003 Montero LTD

Hello,

I have been looking online for a thread that could help with a recent noise I have been hearing for the past few months.

When driving in lower gears (1st and 2nd, mainly) in automatic, midway through the gear (around 2000 rpm) shift, I hear a light grinding / metalic noise from the middle of the vehicle. You almost have to roll the window down in order to hear said noise. In higher gears on the interstate, there is no issue with noises. When the noise occurs, there's no roughness to the shifting or any hesitation--seems to shift nicely like it always has.

I have 72,000 miles on it and have had it in the shop recently for a 21 point inspection, which they said it all looked good except break pads which were replaced.

My father in law rode with me and we were able to get the sound reproduced and he said he would get the transmission flushed, but not to worry about it unless the transmission just gives out.

Has anyone else had an issue with this grinding noise in lower years, and if so, what was the solution in the end? Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. I do not want to go to a shop and have them want to replace my transmission if there is nothing wrong with it. In Chicago, that seems to be a pretty common thing (getting ripped off by auto shops, that is).

Thank you in advance,

Old 10-30-2014, 05:37 AM

I know you are talking about a grinding noise but do you feel a slight vibration in the floorboard/steering wheel with it?
Also since it is happening around 2000rpm can you get it to happen with the vehicle in park? I have a similar problem with a buzz/vibration at that rpm but I can duplicate it in park also and have spent a vast amount of time tracking this down.

If yours will do it in park at 2000 rpm's let me know and post back, I have a possible solution for it. If you cannot duplicate it in park then obviously it's a different problem and I have no idea.

I also have 2003 LTD and this 2000 rpm issue seems to be a common issue......

Old 10-30-2014, 06:31 AM

Thank you for replying--

Yes, you can feel it in the floorboard and steering wheel a slight amount. I have not been able to get it to duplicate in park, but only tried briefly this morning. It *seems* like it's related to the transmission, as it's right before the gear shifts into 2 or 3 that we hear the noise. It increases in frequency of being able to duplicate the noise when going up hills.

Someone who rode with me said it may be a ball bearing. Any thoughts on that?

I'd love to hear what you found out about yours.

Thanks again,

J

Old 10-30-2014, 01:00 PM

Check my thread you posted on about the vibration/buzz. I added the information!

Old 10-31-2014, 08:26 AM

I am attempting to get the transmission flushed this weekend and will write back if I have success.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:06 PM

I have an appointment in the morning for an oil change and transmission flush. I'll write back in the next couple days to let you know what the transmission folks have to say about it. Hopefully they can tell me if it's one of the two issues you've suggested, either way.

Thanks again for your input, Rocket10r!

Old 11-03-2014, 07:21 AM

Transmission was fully flushed and the mechanic reported it was moderately dirty with black flecks, which he said were not metallic. Replaced with Mitsubishi fluid (a few extra quarts were needed to continue flushing debris out), which they showed me before using. Drove it for three hours yesterday and the noise is still present, but much less audible, say 75% less than it was previously.

At this point I'm not sure if I need to worry about trying to look for a further fix or hope it will continue to improve. I will continue to post updates on condition, but let me know your thoughts, everyone. Curious what you think.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:10 PM

From what I have read and understand about the transmission shudder is that after the flush and replacement with OEM fluid the shudder or noise will get better with time, so I would give it time before doing anything else.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:57 AM

I will keep posting as I notice any changes. Thanks again!

Old 11-15-2014, 12:32 PM

I have experienced a similar issue to what you describe, except I have a 2002 XLS. Mine seems to be related to the 4WD transfer. It also seems to happen more in cold weather. It comes and goes. My son now drives it more than I do and he has not mentioned any issues for the last few months, but he may just be ignoring it and not letting me know when it happens.

Quick Reply: Grinding Noise In Lower Gears, 2003 Montero LTD