Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Grinding noise then clunk! Fixed! (4x4 flashing lights related)

Old 11-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Default Grinding noise then clunk! Fixed! (4x4 flashing lights related)

Hello I am new here, great forum. My problem is:

I was driving and as I was coming to a light, I heard this horrible grinding sound. I thought it was delivery truck next to me. I figured out that the horrible sound was me.

I pulled over slowed down then I heard a clunk sound, turned off the montero and started again and the grinding noise disappeared

Im worried about the clunk at the end when this grinding noise occurs? will this be a tranny problem or more likley a brake issue?

2003 montero limited

Old 11-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Grinding noise then clunk!

Is your abs light on? Does it feel like the abs is coming on when u brake?

Old 11-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Banned

Totally 100% guessing... but that sounded like a transfer case

Old 11-06-2007, 03:16 PM

Nopes no ABS light coming on.

but before this incident probably two days apart, I was doing a turn around the parking lot then a clunk happened I though I hit a curb but the feeling was different then two days later I was on 4H on a wet highway doing probably 50-60mph then the tcase light came flashing? then two days later the grinding noise and again the clunk. would all this be related? is there a possibility that the ABS is or the computer that operates it is activiating it in error in conjuction with the M-ASTC? I followed the manual in turning the car off and then off again...somewhat like rebooting it

Old 11-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you have an issue w/ your 4x4 system. Try to get the car scaned and see if there are any codes.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:32 PM

scanned as in an obd II scan? or is it a scan specifically for the 4X4 system only?

Old 11-07-2007, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

I have a snap-on scanner that would work on it but idk if a scanner from advance or something like that would work.

Its similar to scanning thm pcm for codes but you would have to go under the 4x4 module...or what ever module controls the 4x4. Its different in cars so idk what it would be listed as w/ your truck.

You could always go to the dealer and get it scanned.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Banned

Go to autozone, its free

Old 11-07-2007, 01:10 PM

Thanks for all your replies guys, I also have a scanner but I doubt it has the extended codes for mitsus.

<<<I can recreate the grinding noise after I play around with the brakes like pumping it when I come to a stop, kind of like rocking the car >>>
(I highly doubt I recreated the problem maybe I'm in PARANOID mode and all I hear was the creaking of the suspension HAHA!) >>> (edited 11/09/2007)>>>

I am thinking that a sensor or a switch is either lagging or getting stuck or forcing a shaft, motor or piston? to activate or not retract, so I’m going to whip out a can of contact cleaner and spray all the connections I can find, I will also add contact grease for good measure. I will check the fluids for brakes, tcase and differential just in case it needs topping. I will post any results later on.

Again thanks for all the replies

Old 11-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Go to autozone, its free

I think they can only scan the pcm for codes not anything else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grinding noise then clunk! Fixed! (4x4 flashing lights related)