Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Hello, new to forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Default Hello, new to forum

Hey all, new to the forum. Got myself a nice 2000 Montero Sport this past weekend. Good body, interior is great, 160k miles.

When I got it, it came with only 1 key. Does anyone know if they are transponder keys that I have to order from the dealer; and to other 2000 Monty Sport owners - do these things have remote lock\unlock? I was looking to get a used keyfob off ebay and try, but I decided it was best to ask here first.

Thanks all!

Old 04-05-2015, 10:00 PM

Welcome to the forum!
I'm about 95% sure your sport has a transponder key. My 2003 ltd does and at the dealer it was gonna cost $50 to get a key made...however my local dealer doesnt have a key machine and programmer so they use an auto locksmith. I would contact the dealer and ask if you have a transponder key as well as if the dealer cuts and programs their own keys. If not and they use a locksmith cut out the middle man and contact a local auto locksmith who can do it for you. In my situation the dealer said they would call the next time the locksmith came to their lot and if I could get down there they would have him cut me a key...well who knows when thats gonna be. I ended up paying $70 for a key but, I got it cut and programmed the same day I talked to the dealer...totally worth the extra 20 bucks vs the time I would've waited to go through dealer...that was 2 months ago and I would probably still be waiting for them to call me.

If you dont have a transponder key please disregard everything i just said and go to lowes and have them cut you one for around $6.

For your key fob, ebay has them just make sure you get a new one and not a used one. They are very easy to program. I programmed mine in about 2 minutes.

The dealer wanted $325 for a key and a new fob. Outsourcing a key through an auto locksmith and buying a new keyfob off ebay and programming it myself $130. I saved almost $200.

Hope this helps.
post back and let us know what you find out.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:07 PM
Old 04-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Default Help!

Hello All.. I too am new to this forum.

I am hoping that someone can help me.. My daughter own a 2006 Mitsubishi Outlnder LS and lost her ONLY key last night. I have searched online for replacement keys, but I am unable to find any but uncut keys.

Would anyone know if it is even possible to purchase a cut key and where I may be able to find one?

Old 04-10-2015, 03:10 AM

Its a little more complicated when you loose your only key. You need to call the dealer and see if they can cut a key from the key code, if not see if they can get you the code using your vin# then you need to contact an auto locksmith, if you cant get the code from the dealer then the auto locksmith will have to take the front passenger door panel off and get the code from your locking mechanism.

None the less you will need to get the key code from either dealer or the locking mechanism....sometimes the dealer will write down that code in your owners manual when you purchase the vehicle but not always.

Good luck!

Last edited by jhill15; 04-13-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:34 AM

only one key. Hah.
Even my chastity belt has two.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:20 PM

A little late, but prob more useful that some of the replies above ...At least with my Toyota, the dealer is able to make a key from the VIN number, provided you give ID and proof of ownership. A quick search on google seems to show that Mitsubishi dealer should be able to do the same for you. It will cost $$, but that may be your best choice. This will work only if the locks have not been changed. If your old key worked on all the locks (doors, tailgate) then it is likely that you still have the original lock cylinders.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by velandia
A little late, but prob more useful that some of the replies above ...At least with my Toyota, the dealer is able to make a key from the VIN number, provided you give ID and proof of ownership. A quick search on google seems to show that Mitsubishi dealer should be able to do the same for you. It will cost $$, but that may be your best choice. This will work only if the locks have not been changed. If your old key worked on all the locks (doors, tailgate) then it is likely that you still have the original lock cylinders.
Thats a good point, assuming your lock mechanisms weren't changed. If so an auto locksmith would get you in the car then have cut another key from the ignition.

Check with the dealer to see if they can cut and program a transponder key but don't your breathe. After all, Your dealing with mitsu...not toyota.