Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:27 AM
Default Help!

I have just recently picked up my first montero for $500 guy sold it because it had no spark and he was tired of messing with it. Now I am in the same boat, replaced the ecm, distributor, power transistor, and coil. nada... It is an 87 dodge raider, that originally had a 4cyl but somewhere along the line got a 3.0 v6. the wiring is crap to say the least but i am getting power where power is needed, i have even been following the fsm manuals but i have not found one for the ecm wiring. I just need some ideas, because I am bound and determined to get this thing back to its former glory. I just dont know where to start, right now everything is just a mess. anybody else been in this pickle?

Old 05-15-2011, 01:57 PM

Welcome, Hartd23, to the forums. Maybe you should change your handle to Hard2srt23?

Seriously, those older Raiders are really cool vehicles and I totally understand your determination to make her seaworthy again. I'm sure you'll get some ideas from the folks around here. Maybe you could even post a picture for your avatar so we can all see what you're slaving over.

Since you have the distributor model, I've got to ask if you replaced the entire distributor? Because failure to start can be caused by either a faulty crank sensor or igniter in the distributor, but if it's new, that probably isn't your problem. But I'm also wondering about any codes your ECM is kicking out considering the Frankenstein nature of what's now under the hood.

Let me ask you this: Is there a diagnostic port somewhere under the dash that you can read error codes by? Is so, it would behoove you to see what it's telling us.

You FSM is geared to your non-existent 4 banger. So you need maybe this:

http://www.mitsubishilinks.com/

And download the 6G72 info to your distributor-based model. That's a start.

Last edited by mothman52; 05-15-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Unhappy Still Tryin...

I uploaded a picture of the beast there, I have actually already downloaded the fsm from that particular link for the 6g72. right now it just seems like the ecm is not responding, the check engine light does not come on at all, only the seatbelt light and park brake light. I did not see a connector under the dash to pull error codes and i cant use the key method to check either. I kinda got this mid-project from someone else and I dont have much experience with all this computer stuff. I am used to the 'ol all u need is air, spark and fuel engines. I am wondering if that power transistor has anything to do with it. I tried the 1.5v test in the fsm on the 3 that i have and none passed so i will be buying a new one soon. if that dont work then i dunno.

Attached Thumbnails Help!-img_20110515_150006.jpg   Help!-img_20110515_191740.jpg   Help!-img_20110515_191953.jpg