Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Hold-in circuit is open on three starters - 2001 Montero Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Default Hold-in circuit is open on three starters - 2001 Montero Sport

My Dealer installed Mitsubishi starter failed (it just spins and will not engage the flywheel), and I have installed two replacement remanufactured starters from two different chain auto parts stores. Both replacements are doing the same thing the OEM starter was doing. They just spin! I have the service manual and it tells how to check the solenoid for failure. All three starters have tested positive for an open Hold-In circuit. Is my 2001 Montero Sport eating starter solenoids, or am I just buying junky starters? What could be causing my truck to burn out that particular switch in the solenoids, if indeed that is the case?

Old 06-18-2013, 12:48 AM

hows the flywheel teeth look ???

Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the response. Flywheel teeth are ok. UPDATE: I took the second starter back, and they tested it. It was good. So the guy asked me to bring my OEM starter in so he could test it too. It also tested good. I told him that I bench tested all the starters and they all tested positive for the open Hold-in circuit. That's when he asked about my battery. I told him it was fully charged @ 12.8 vdc. He said your battery can have the correct voltage, but not the amps. So, Today I had the battery checked: 12.75 vdc, but failed the battery test. That's right! A bad battery! I put the OEM starter back in along with the new battery, and it turned over. One caveat to this story: the AutoZone battery (1st replacement) was bad, so that complicated matters. So, after one bad starter, a bad battery, and a very helpful young fellow at O'Reilly's, my 6G72 is turning over again. Oh yea, the reason all the starters showed the open Hold-in circuit? I believe was due to me using the same battery for the bench test that was in the truck. Lessons learned on this one.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:32 PM

Oops - I meant to say ... The AutoZone starter (1st replacement) was bad.