Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

ATF Change for Montero Sport 2000

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Default ATF Change for Montero Sport 2000

Hello,
I bought a second hand MMS 2000 with AT.
The Warranty and Maintenance manual has no entries, so I decided to change all the oils.
The Owner Manual calls for "Diamond ATF SP-II M" for the AT.
Can I use other brands of ATF and which do you recommend (a friend said certain types develop problems)?
Is there a filter in the AT which I can change myself?
I appreciate your help.

mountainfrog
Dominican Republic

Old 04-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Default RE: ATF Change for Montero Sport 2000

Use the original recommended fluid or "equivalent". Most mitsu tranny's use fluids with special additives. Most standard tranny fluids will not have these additives. If the fluid you are going to buy does not indicate that it will work in a Mitsu tranny & you can't find any evidence that it will work then please DO NOT USE IT. If you do, there's a real concern that it will DESTROY your transmission!! I know of two owners who have encountered this and had to rebuild their transmission. The highly coveted Mobil 1 ATF for example will end up destroying a mitsu tranny.

Also I know in Montero transmissions you merely remove the filter, wash it and reinstall it (wire mesh filter). You do not have to replace it with a new one.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:19 PM

Mitsu's from 2000 and on require a special fluid. You need to get the fluid from either a Mitsu, Kia or Hyundai dealer. The fluid should say "SP III".

If you really cannot get that, then see if you can get Chrysler ATF +4 fluid.

I would not try anything else.

I have Mobil 1 in my '95 and it runs great.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Winshawn

Mitsu's from 2000 and on require a special fluid. You need to get the fluid from either a Mitsu, Kia or Hyundai dealer. The fluid should say "SP III".

If you really cannot get that, then see if you can get Chrysler ATF +4 fluid.

I would not try anything else.

I have Mobil 1 in my '95 and it runs great.
In my experience, I've learned not to run M1 in early model montero automatics as well. I know someone personally who has destroyed his in a few thousand miles because he ran M1!![&:]

Old 04-18-2006, 10:45 PM

Thank you so much so far.
You convinced me not to use other fluids except the Mitsubishi Diamond type.
Do KIA and Hyundai use the same?
I plan to take off the A/T oil pan in order to get all the oil out and clean the filter (I understand no replacement is needed.).
Anything else recommended (flushing)?

m'frog
DomRep

Old 04-19-2006, 01:34 PM

Kia and Hyundai fluid are also SP III. They are probably the same fluid just in a different bottle.

Even if you take off the pan you will not be able to remove all of the fluid. If you want to get all of the old fluid out you need to do this;

1. Drain fluid from pan, and replace the pan gasket and clean filter if you desire.
2. Replace the same number of quarts of fluid that you drained out.
3. Disconnect the tranny cooler line at the cooler. (the line that takes the fluid from the tranny)
4. Start the engine and direct that line towards a bucket. After you get a couple quarts out, turn off the engine and pour two quarts of new fluid into the tranny.
5. Repeat step 4 until the fluid comes out nice and bright red.

It helps to get a piece of clear tubing to connect to the cooler line. This allows you to easiliy direct the fluid into a bucket, and it is easy to see when the fluid gets nice and bright red.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:48 PM

Thank you Winshawn for the advice.
I shall follow those steps when doing the work.
The Mitsubishi dealer here in Santiago answered my email only to tell me that they sell GULF ATF....[:@]
which I do not want to use.
I'll check whether KIA or Hyundai have their original fluids.

They also said that the filter could not be cleaned as it has a "cork" matter inside. True?

m'frog

Old 04-26-2006, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: mountainfrog

They also said that the filter could not be cleaned as it has a "cork" matter inside. True?

m'frog
Did you find a source for the ATF there?

Also, the filter may need to be replaced. I'm not 100% sure. However on the Gen I & II Montero's the filter is clean-able and does not need to be replaced as frequently.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:04 PM

ORIGINAL: off roader
Did you find a source for the ATF there?
No, unfortunately I didn't. The proper stuff (Mitsubishi Diamond ATF SP III) cannot be found anywhere here.

Chrysler+4 ATF, however, is available in Santo Domingo for about 8.- US$/Quart [:'(]
Many say it's the same fluid as Mitsubishi's....

I find Winshawn's advice quite useful and convincing. Guess I would have to buy an extra 3 to 4 quarts to flush out the old fluid as well as one possibly can, right?

Oh, one question remains:
What color is the original Mitsubishi Diamond SP III ?

Thank you.

Saludos

m'frog

Old 04-26-2006, 11:58 PM

I've heard the same about the chrysler fluid. Not sure about the original color of the mitu fluid.

Quick Reply: ATF Change for Montero Sport 2000