Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Hot Start Misfire Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 12:08 PM
Exclamation Hot Start Misfire Assistance

I have a 1994 Montero LS with the 3.0.

I purchased this and am doing tons of work that the original owner did not want to do. New valve cover gaskets, front main seal, oil cooler lines etc. I got the truck back from a timing belt service and drove it around for a day. I found that it has a misfire only after a hot restart. And not just any hot restart, but one where it has sat for about 5 minutes. If I cut it off and back on it fires right up with no skip. When it sits to absolute cool (about 2 hours) it will fire back up as if there was never a problem.

I have addressed the basic misfire factors. Plugs, wires cap and button, coil, fuel filter. I have a new temp sensor in the thermostat housing. Checked MAF, seems good. Beyond that I am getting ready to get into things like the distributor, fuel pump, injectors etc. Before I take those next steps, does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be? I was going to clean the MAP here in a bit to see if that does anything but I am not holding my breath.

I am new to the Montero game so I am learning about the quirks and issues as I go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul G