Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

How to Remove Spark Plug Tubes: 2002 Montero Sport XLS

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 07:26 PM
jc@
Default How Do I Remove Spark Plug Tubes? : 2002 Montero Sport XLS

Need to remove a spark plug tube to create space.
I'm changing (attempting) valve guide seals on the car and the spring compression tool I have needs space.

I'm curious if they have threads or are just friction fit.
I'm considering using a 18mm Deep Well socket on the inside with a strap tool or vice grips. [shop towel]

Anyone have any tricks, good/bad experiences?
2002 Montero Sport XLS 3.5L
Thanks JC

Last edited by jc@; 02-24-2022 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Subject Clarity
Old 01-13-2022, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by jc@
Need to remove a spark plug tube to create space.
I'm changing (attempting) valve guide seals on the car and the spring compression tool I have needs space.

I'm curious if they have threads or are just friction fit.
I'm considering using a 18mm Deep Well socket on the inside with a strap tool or vice grips. [shop towel]

Anyone have any tricks, good/bad experiences?
2002 Montero Sport XLS 3.5L
Thanks JC
Well, as far I could tell, those suckers look to be interference fit, you can't really remove them unless you cool the entire head down to sub zero temps. So probably not easily done. I could be wrong though.

You don't need a spring compressor or to remove the plug tubes. What you need is a leak down tester and a Lisle JB36050 valve keeper remover and installer or similar. Plug any and all oil drain holes with shop towels or rags to prevent the keepers and other debris from dropping into the sump. Set the cylinder you want to remove the springs for to top dead center (use a long screwdriver, set it down in the cylinder and carefully turn the engine over really slow until the screwdriver stops moving up and begins to go back down.), attach the leak down tester by screwing it snugly into the spark plug hole, put about 100psi of air into the cylinder in order to hold the valves up when the keepers are removed. (Make sure to have a decent compressor that can keep up with pressure demand and make sure that you don't put too much PSI in the cylinder or you risk the engine turning over unless you have the crank pulley secured by some means.). Take the removal tool and and put it over the spring nice and square, hold the tool nice and steady and give the removal tool a good ole whack with a hammer, the keepers should come right out and be stuck inside the magnetic cup/hole in the removal tool. I have done this procedure twice so far and it works really good. I recommend doing only one cylinder at a time for accuracy and a less likely chance of forgetting something.

I HIGHLY recommend the usage of a valve stem installer/remover tool in order to avoid damaging the seals or mating surface, also makes the job a helluva lot easier but to each their own. Make absolutely sure to remove all leftover valve stem seal gunk from the valve stems and use clean engine oil to lube the stems and new seals. Don't do like I did the first time and tear your seals when reinstalling because I missed this step. If you are paying attention to the pressure you are putting on them during install, you should feel a subtle "click" type sensation when the seals have been installed correctly.

While you're doing all this, I bet you plan on replacing the valve cover gaskets too. If you want to make sure and get rid of that pesky valve cover leak for a long long time that everyone is familiar with on these engines, follow my handy dandy guide posted in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

Last edited by Naeos_Valkarian; 01-13-2022 at 08:54 PM. Reason: words and formatting
Old 01-14-2022, 07:39 AM
jc@

Naeos_Valkarian... I attempted to post a detailed reply. For some reason it didn't make it to the thread.
Hopefully this will.
Thanks for the quick reply and I "may" try again but just wanted to thank you for your info!

JC

Looks like it did make it... go figure.
Thx again
JC

Last edited by jc@; 01-14-2022 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-24-2022, 02:40 PM
jc@

Just to follow up.

I ended up NOT removing one of the sparky tubes.
Instead I ground my spring compression tool to the brink of failure and got the last problem child installed.
Still curious how to remove one though.

Thanks for reply.