Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Icelandic Montero Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Default Icelandic Montero Conversion

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/me...r-montero-508/

The Montero / Pajero has roots in the Dakar Rally, but its soccer-mom top-heavy stock design needs some help. Fortunately, custom fabricators in Iceland like Gunnar Ingvi of Gunnar Ingvi - Blasmija ehf. have made the montero into what it should be.

Seven years ago, I was in Iceland and discovered their love of the Mitsubishi Montero. They use them for riding on glaciers and snow drifts. The stock 4 wheel drive and V-6 are great, but the suspension and weight distribution need custom work. They do it right. I was floored when I saw the first Montero on 44" tires rolling down the street.

When I got home to Florida, I looked at my sad stock Montero and wondered the possibilities. I searched the internet and found very little in the US market for custom parts. So I looked back to Iceland for advice.

I found Gunnar and asked him what it would take to customize my Limited. We agreed that shipping it to Iceland was out of the question. Gunnar had never customized a car in the US and was interested in the job. He shipped me the fender flares, running boards, suspension parts. All he asked of me was a garage with lift for two days, a spring compressor, and a sledge hammer. I thought he was kidding. Then he and his co-worker got plane tickets and showed up in Palm Beach.

In Iceland, the concept is to get the largest, floatiest, widest tires under the car while raising the body as little as possible. This keeps the center of gravity low, reducing the possibility of tipping and improves handling. Clearance is still plenty as you have increased the tire diameter and the axle height.

The only way to do this is to increase wheel well space. So they cut away the body and used the sledge hammer to "massage" some spots for tire clearance. The new tires fill the space behind the headlights so much, that they even require the need for a custom windshield washer fluid tank, that they have custom built.

In fact everything they added was custom built. What I like is how much their parts look stock. For example, the front door panel is stock, but the rear door panel is custom. They match perfectly which also tells you that this kit is a one-off for this exact model and year Montero.

I ordered the wheel and tire combo based on their specifications. They offered three custom fender sizes that fit tires of 35", 38", and even a 44". The 35" is the largest you can go without having to move the rear axle so this was my choice. I chose BFG All terrain KO because of the aggressive look and feel but with great road handling and long life. In fact, the conversion was in 2005 and I only just replaced that set of tires in 2012. That's amazing for an all terrain tire.

The results exceeded my expectations. The Montero now handles so well and looks great. And it's a one of a kind in the US.

See photos here:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/me...r-montero-508/

Attached Thumbnails Icelandic Montero Conversion-img_9458.jpg  

Last edited by MONsTERO; 03-17-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: more photos
Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 PM

I saw your Montero today..actually during the late evening. You were behind me and I recognize the headlights and new that it was a Montero but you seemed to sit a bit higher than mine. I went to the turning lane and you were still on the other lane. I wanted move up but couldn't and give you a thumbs up and ask a quick question about your Montero. I immediately went on a search online for fender flares and like you...had no luck, just a picture of your Montero.

Its a small world..looked like yours, clicked the link and saw this forum which I haven't been on forever and knew I this was your Montero by the right rear upper sticker.

I have been thinking of going with a similar wheel/tire setup like yours for awhile now..but those FLARES are amazing man. I want them...I want them bad, but I know it wasn't cheap to get them. If you are willing to share some details with me..we can talk through PM. Your Montero is what a Montero/Pajero should of been out of the factory assembly line.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:22 PM
Banned

That's so cool.

Welcome, y'all.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:03 PM

That truck looks really nice, i only wish i could do that to mine.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Default Lift???

Can you please give me where you got your lift from? I've looked everywhere and cannot find one!

Old 08-09-2013, 05:36 AM

The fenders that I bought for that 02 Montero were part of a custom kit made only for that generation of Montero. The company does have kits for earlier monteros. Not sure about later gens. The company and its link are listed in the original post. Gunnar Ingvi from Brettakantar.is
It wasn't cheap but it was very worth it. Changed the look and the ride of the Montero completely. Kit included two front fenders, two back fenders, and two running boards. Plus the framework that hold the running boards in place. Kit also included the lift kit. There was a lot of talent and finesse in the install though. Would not attempt on my own because it includes cutting the body with tin snips and hammering the frame inside the wheel well with a sledge hammer. Gunnar does not speak much English but he is very nice and will answer your emails. Just write to him here. gunnaringvi@brettakantar.is

If I can find the old pictures of the actual install, I'll post them sometime.

I already miss that car. New owner said he's going to do even bigger things to it.