Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Inheirited Montero, Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 03:37 AM
Default Inheirited Montero, Newbie

it is awesome i found this forum, i had no idea to look for one, but man am i glad i did. sorry for the casual converation, on with buisiness. I drive a 1994 Montero SR 3.5 24valve with a blown head gasket. (Which royally sucks) anyway, i was curious as to where i could find a resource for suspension kit for my beast, as many of you know it is rather hard to find these things in the main stream like Jegs and Napa, if i could get a resource of your favorite/only kit supplier that would b awesome. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area and am willing to go to Santa Cruz and Sacramento any further than that is pushing it but if necessary im cool. Thank You all so much, see you on the trail (not any time soon)

Landon

Old 11-16-2006, 04:24 AM
Default RE: Inheirited Montero, Newbie

Great rig. I'm in Santa Clara myself & actually in the market for a 94-96SR but they're hard to find in good condition and for a good price.

What do you mean suspension kit? Shock options? Lowering kit? Lift kit?

Springs: If you want to lift it, you can buy longer coil springs from Valley Spring. I believe ARB also sells longer springs for the rear but I'm not 100% sure. There's also torsion bars from sway-away or ARB. For more lift you can add a body lift kit from 4crawler.com (santa clara co)

Shocks: Stock shocks are adjustable KYB's made especially for Mitsu and only available through mitsu. Most Ive spoken with don't think other adjustables (rancho 9000) are anywhere as good as the KYB's on the Monty. KYB, Edelbrock (sp?), and possibly even Tokico also make decent non-adjustables shocks for the Monty. I'd stay away from your run of the mill monroe's no matter what kind or how great they're marketed. In my experience in the mitsu community they've never been anywhere near as good as a decent monotube design like those I already mentioned. Rancho's (9000 only) are decent but still not as good based on the opinion's I've heard from other owners.

Tires: Stock you can fit 32x11's w/out to much issues. Crank the torsion bars and you can fit 33's. Do a body lift and you can fit 35s but you'll also want better gearing if you intend on wheeling 35's off road. 4.90's are available for the ring and pinions and 3.15:1's are available for the transfer case.

Any other questions?

Old 11-17-2006, 02:16 AM

thanx for the encouraging words, i didn't realize i was that blessed with my car, i am talking with my friends who have jeeps and 4runners and they are totally doubting the power. anyway, i am looking for a lift kit, I can see you named some sources so that is pretty sweet, i don't know why anyone would want to lower it, it isn't a freakin show car. anyway, i here is a picture i took today with my computer (MacBook) and i have some big plans that only START with the suspension lift.

Anymore would b great, thanx again

[IMG]local://upfiles/10338/97D07ADB50E8407091D1DB50D7337847.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-17-2006, 02:38 PM

What kind of trails do you want to run. I'm part of a group that takes Monties through the Rubicon, Fordyce, Dusy Erham annually.

I love it when I pull up to someone who doesn't think a monty should be there and then go over an obstacle easier than they did! My favorite line? "I'm not from around here. Someone said there was an albertson's nearby. Is it much further up this trail?"

In fact for your friends, show them these pics. On the otherhand if they only think power is needed off road then they probably don't know how to drive off road (no offense).

Here's a pic of mine at the entrance to the Rubicon (4th one back).

The red one is a 2 door on 35's w/ 5.29:1 R&Ps, Front and rear lockers, and a 2.85:1 xcase.
The dark blue one is a 95SR. (better pic below)
The white one is a Montero sport. In this pic he's on 33's. Today he's on 35's and running a 4" IFS drop down kit made for a Mitsu Triton pickup. He imported the kit from Thailand and modified it to fit the sport.
The med blue on is my 90 4 door. I have 33's w/ a torsion bar crank and 2" longer coils in back. I was also running an LSD at the time (fine for me on the con) which is p/o the stock drivetrain I have.

Here are the 4 of us at spider lake (iirc) which is on the con... see our mitsu 4x4 club sign?

Here I am on the con.

Again, here's another pic of my buddies SR on 35's!! The red ovals are the location of the body mounts if you decide to do the 4crawler lift kit.

In fact they are doing a day run tomorrow. Deer Valley & Slick Rock trail which are rated 3 on a 1-5 scale. My monty's currently in semi retirement hence the reason I'm looking for an SR.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:51 PM

That is an awfull pretty SR to take on the Rubicon! No rocker panel damage? Impressive.

Off-Roader, why is your monty in retirement?

Old 11-17-2006, 05:11 PM

Rocker panel protection is all I can say. All but eliminates rocker panel damage on trails like the rubicon. Here's where most mitsu 4x4 owners I know buy them or they fab their protection themselves... (http://4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/RockSliderZ.shtml)

I'm sure others exist that are just as good. It's just that 4crawler is the only co. I know who actually makes them for montero's.

If you make them yourself it's pretty easy (assuming you're a decent welder & have the tools). I recommend using .220 or 1/4" wall square tube.

In retirement for several reasons...
1) it's been a regularly wheeled daily driver for 6 years now.
2) 3 engine rebuilds
3) Broken front axle currently. Occured shortly after my annual Shopping Avoidance run (12/26 each year at Hollister Hills SVRA, Hollister CA).
4) Engine won't start and is also overheating. Probably just a waterpump issue somewhere. No white smoke, milky oil, or muddy radiator fluids so hopefully no head gasket issues.

Rather than rebuild her further and wheel her, I'm going to make her my daily driver and focus on engine/drivetrain reliablity on road and get a newer 95SR for off road duties.

A "virgin" 89-90 v6 2 door montero in good condition for a full build-up is also an alternative but those are exceptionally difficult to find.

I'm even considering a sport as an alternative because it's newer but it will require much more effort to put 35's underneath and I want that for my next rig.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:15 AM

any ideas about steel tubing resources, i don't really like the premade replacement bumpers, i want to make a custom one which will have things that don't come with the other bumpers...like i said, Any Ideas?

here are some things i was thinking of doing
1) custom front bumper (possibly back)
with:
a) Off Road Lights
b) Winch
c) Modified Headlight Squirters (See Below)
d) Made of Hardened Steel Tubing
2) Lift 1-2 inches via longer coil and leaf springs, etc.
3) Wider/Taller Tires (34/12.5 probably)
4) Wider Fenders
5) Fender/Rocker Panel: Continuity for Vanity/Total Protection via Rhino Liner

just a start

Headlight Squirters: Retube the Headlight squirters and aim them forward from the car with high(er) pressure tips.
There is no actual constructive purpose to this, but if one of my homies is fooling around infront of my car I can just squirt them. also i could set up my own donut course.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:12 AM

ORIGINAL: lwolfnmonty

any ideas about steel tubing resources, i don't really like the premade replacement bumpers, i want to make a custom one which will have things that don't come with the other bumpers...like i said, Any Ideas?

here are some things i was thinking of doing
1) custom front bumper (possibly back)
with:
a) Off Road Lights
b) Winch
c) Modified Headlight Squirters (See Below)
d) Made of Hardened Steel Tubing
So what happens when you come down off a ledge and slam into your rear bumper, which does happen off road.

Also... knock on wood but FWIW, I've been rear ended 3x now and every time i've been able to just drive away. The worst thing that happens to me is scratched paint. That's cause my rear bumper is made using 1/4" steel all around including 3/8" steel along the rear bottom section where it impacts the most w/ rocks on the trail.. it just so happens that this 3/8" area is also where drivers rear end me.

2) Lift 1-2 inches via longer coil and leaf springs, etc.
No leaf springs on your montero. Only coils for the rear and torsion bars for the front.

3) Wider/Taller Tires (34/12.5 probably)
4) Wider Fenders
Wider fenders are available from a variety of places including Iceland if you want to go totally crazy and run 44's. Just stay away from the plastic ones if you plan on wheeling this rig. They break too easily.

5) Fender/Rocker Panel: Continuity for Vanity/Total Protection via Rhino Liner
Rhinoliner is expensive and must be sprayed on by a shop. Herculiner works just as well and like Rhinoliner offers decent for protection from scratches.

Headlight Squirters: Retube the Headlight squirters and aim them forward from the car with high(er) pressure tips.
There is no actual constructive purpose to this, but if one of my homies is fooling around infront of my car I can just squirt them. also i could set up my own donut course.
Just don't spray someone accidentally. I know of kids who've been killed for less.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:23 PM

Offroader - I always enjoy seeing pics from your excursion. Really cool!

Old 11-21-2006, 12:40 AM

ORIGINAL: tj90

Offroader - I always enjoy seeing pics from your excursion. Really cool!
Thanks! I just need to get another monty so I can get back out on the trails!

Quick Reply: Inheirited Montero, Newbie