Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Installing cruise control on an ES Montero.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Default Installing cruise control on an ES Montero.

Hi all, I currently own a 2003 Montero Sport ES with 136k miles. I noticed that cruise control is an option on this trim level, when is not equipped on my car. Is there any way I can possibly get the switch off a junk yard Montero or EBay, I have a budget of $50 for getting cruise control on this thing.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:30 PM

I don't know about your specific car but I've seen it done before so here's some generic advice to get you started...

If your throttle is drive by wire (no cable) than it's probably computer controlled cruise.
If you have a throttle cable you will need the servo to control the cable.

It may be on in the ECU, it may need to be programmed by a dealer.

Generally you need to replace the whole steering wheel to get the switch, but this isn't true 100% of the time. Also sometimes there is an empty plug for the cruise, sometimes you need a new harness for the wheel and sometimes it uses the existing pins.

You will also probably need to add a brake switch that tells the system when you are stepping on the brake so it can turn off the cruise... There will already be a switch there for your brake lights but look and see if there is a 2nd harness down there or if the existing one has more than 2 pins.

Probably the best place to start is find the switch and see if your car has the same connectors.