Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Isn't this freaky.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Default Isn't this freaky.....

Found the ground strap (transfer case to floor pan) about 90% worn through from rubbing on the exhaust clamp. Could this be the problem? Usually weird electrical stiffcould be attributed to grounding problems. Comments? Or is this grounding strap just to prevent radio interference? Going to replace it, just wondering what the forum thought. See original post below.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Default RE: Isn't this freaky.....

ORIGINAL: livetoride20000

Found the ground strap (transfer case to floor pan) about 90% worn through from rubbing on the exhaust clamp. Could this be the problem? Usually weird electrical stiffcould be attributed to grounding problems. Comments? Or is this grounding strap just to prevent radio interference? Going to replace it, just wondering what the forum thought. See original post below.
Why didn't you just post this in the same thread?

Old 05-31-2007, 02:36 PM

Didn't get to many hits on thefirst post and found the ground strap problem after I posted the first time so I didn't think too many forumers would return to the origianl post. Call it desperation or neurosis-I have nightmares about my 4L engaging at 70mph.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:50 PM

An arcing ground strap could cause electrical gremlins. I say arcing because you have a ground strap rubbing on another conductive piece of metal.
The ground strap is just that also, an electrical ground. It has nothing to do with the radio interferrence.

I agree, don't start two threads on the same issue. Some people won't and don't like to jump around from thread to thread.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Banned

I think you just solved it : )

Old 06-02-2007, 10:38 AM

Apologies to all for the posting debacle and many thnaks to all who chimmed in. Replaced the ground strap - problem NOT solved. Back to square one.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:48 AM

Is there any way to disconnect the 4x4 from coming on at all - pull a fuse, disconnect a connector, etc, until I can find more time to play with it.

Thank you in advance.

(2002 Montero XLS)

Again many thanks to Off Roader, Sebba, silvercoupe97, Sam0472 and all.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:36 AM

Called the dealership and talked to one of the techs. He said that there is no way the 4x4 can engage without actually moving the 4x4 lever into the selected range. He said the 4x4 is engaged by linkage, not by some electrical actuator so it is physically impossible for the front wheels to engage without moving the 4x4 lever into the appropriate position.

I explained the gear noise that I am hearing while the 4x4 lights are blinking. He indicated that the freewheeling solenoid may not be venting to atmosphere properly causing the front wheels to be spinning the shaft to the transfer case.

This bad solenoid freewheeling concept may be right on track becausethis gremlinseems to come aliveonlywhen I am decelerating.

Thoughts please?

Old 06-02-2007, 01:55 PM

solenoid freewheeling: I am not sure what the freewheel solenoid is do you have more information is this some sort of part that works with the vacuum system that enages the front diff.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:53 PM

Yes, the freewheeling solenoid - as he referred to it - is vacuum operated. He refered to it as a solenoid - which is to my knowledge typically an electrical device. He also indicated that theremay be a leak in the vacuum line or somewhere else. It is, however, a vacuum operated device.

One thing I've noticed. If I shift into 4H when I hear the grear noise, the gear noise goes away, then I shift back to 2H, and life is beautiful for about 10 minutes.

Said they can't really say much morewithout looking at it.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Isn't this freaky.....