Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Issue after front rotor and pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 07:27 PM
Default Issue after front rotor and pad replacement

Hi All

New to the forum.
2006 Pajero NP Exceed 3.8 ltr in Australia

Just finished front rotor and pad replacements which was the first time doing this on an ABS equiped vehicle. Went uneventful. Also cracked the bleeders when compressing the pistons which went smoothly. Bled the breaks after and was trying to drive off to bed everything in. Tora rotors, Bosch pads.

Horrible shuddering from the front breaks when applying the brake like coming to a stop on a washing board. Both forward snd reverse. Shuddering can be felt through the entire front end and steering.
Removed the abs relay to see if that was maybe it, no difference.

Recently did the rear rotors and pads without any problems at all.

I'm a bit at loss what's causing this. I can't take it on the road to even bed everything in, that's how violent the shuddering feels.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-21-2023, 04:46 AM

Some aftermarket pads have a special material on the first mm or so to help bedding in.

But if unsure get a qualified Mechanic to have a look. Dont mess with brakes if you are unsure.

Old 07-23-2023, 11:17 PM

Took it out this morning to give it a try because I couldn't think of anything wrong the way I did the job.

Did about 8 times a 60 to 20km/hr braking with short cooling periods whilst driving. Braking itself is good, doesn't pull to one side.

Left front only grinding when coming to a stop and you can hear the pad drag a bit which is worse at low speed and tends to disappear (the noise) when going past 40km/hr. Slight woop-woop-woop sound coming from the left front every now and then.

So now only grinding left front under 20km/hr when coming to a stop with light braking.
I have some other brand pads on the way to try just in case.

Normal for braking in new pads and new rotors?
Improves with further driving?