Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Just became a mitsubishi owner 2 hour ago

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 11:17 PM
Default Just became a mitsubishi owner 2 hour ago

hey everyone. i just bought a 01 Montero sport 2 hours ago with a 3.5L and I just registered with this forum 2 mins ago... so i guess im really a mitubishi owner now. I just have a quick question, i need to change the transmission fluid because i bought the car used. I am going to drain it and change the transmission filter. Can someone tell me how many quarts it takes to drain and refill? also, is there a transmission pan and how do i go about changing the filter? Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-30-2004, 03:00 PM
Default RE: Just became a mitsubishi owner 2 hour ago

All that stuff should be in you manual if not you can buy a service manual which will tell you everything.

Old 08-12-2004, 09:29 AM
ole

I would suggest a transmission flush. Just draining fluid dosnt do the job. A lot of fluid is left in torque converter and nukes and crannies. I am a 2000 owner of MS and just had it done to mine. I had reservations at the process, but I could see a definite change in changing gears, especially up hill changing gears. I believe fast oil change centers can do this for about $125

Old 08-12-2004, 09:34 AM
ole

found this on another forum:

http://msport97.proboards6.com/index...num=1069097737

Q- My transmission is in need of a service. Do I need to have have the transmission completely flushed or can I just do the drain and refill myself? What type of ATF should I use?

A- It all depends on how dirty your fluid is... A basic tranny service usually includes just draining the transmission through the drainbolt in the transmision oil pan while sometimes including a filter replacement. While this is sufficient in most cases- almost 50% of the fluid still remains inside the transmission nooks and crannys not to mention the huge torque converter. This remaining fluid would then mix with the new fluid that is added to the transmission at the end of the service. If your fluid is very burnt and very dirty- this 50% fluid will just about ruin the new fluid that has been added and shorten the ATF replacement interval of the current service. That is where a complete flush is required. A transmission flush uses a machine that drains the transmission of it's dirty fluid through the transmission cooler line output port, as it adds new fluid through the transmission cooler line return port- all of this while the engine is running and transmission is shifted through it's gears. This will ensure that all of the nooks and crannys of the tranny as well as the torque converter is thoroughly flushed out with new fluid. While it requires LOTS of fluid (sometimes over 15-20 qts- depending on how burnt the fluid is)- it's well worth the expense if you value the life expectancy of your transmission. Again, while it's not neccesary to flush your transmission each and every time, it may be neccesary if you service has been neglected and the fluid inside the trans is burnt. Once the flush has been performed and the internal filter has been replaced, regular drain and fill service should be enough to maintain the transmission from then on (under normal driving conditions). ALWAYS use Mitsu SPIII ATF (or Chrysler ATF +4)for your transmission especially 99 and newer MS' as the transmission is these models are very sensitive to which ATF is being used. Shuddering at HWY speeds is a common occurance if the wrong ATF is used due to slippage/premature wear of the torque converter lockup clutch. 97-98 models can use Dextron II or SPIII but the type chosen should be used for the life of the transmission or the transmission should be completely flushed with the transmission fluid of choice between the two. In other words, the 2 ATF types should NOT be mixed.