Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Labor cost question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 01:36 AM
Default Labor cost question

I recently had the following list done to my 2002 montero sport and would like to compare labor cost with anyone who has had this done by dealer or auto shop.
timing belt
idler and tensioner pully
timing belt tensioner adjuster
water pump
spark plugs and wires
thermostate
cam seals
crankshaft seal
valve cover gaskets

please post labor cost or total of parts and labor. just wanting to see if my cost was comparable. thanks

Old 02-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Default RE: Labor cost question

txbutterfli,

In N.Cal/San Francisco area labor is $80-90/hr minimum for a dealership level shop.

Most reputable shops charge a flat time for repairs (5 hrs, 2 hours, etc.) and a set price for parts so in most cases the difference between costs in TX and CA will be the hourly rate.

Other than that... sorry, I've done a majority of that work myself.

Old 02-12-2006, 08:46 PM

would $1300.00 labor only for the above listed work be reasonable?

Old 02-12-2006, 11:54 PM

Depends on how much time the are quoting and their labor rates. Also depends on which engine you have in your rig. The 3.0L is much easier to work on than the 3.5L especially the spark plug R&R.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:01 PM

That price seems about right for all of that work. It is good that you got a lot of parts replaced when you did the timing belt.

Timing belt is a big job, requires removing the radiator and a bunch of other stuff.

Spark plugs are not too easy either. You need to remove the intake air plenum.

Good news is that you are good for at least another 60k although, I would trust it to 90k.

I hope they put in NGK Laser Platinum or Iridium plugs.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Winshawn

Timing belt is a big job, requires removing the radiator and a bunch of other stuff.
Radiator removal or just the fan shroud? On the 3.0SOHC engine it only needed the shroud and fan but not the radiator.

Spark plugs are not too easy either. You need to remove the intake air plenum. Good news is that you are good for at least another 60k although, I would trust it to 90k.
Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't the latest plugs good for like 100k?

Old 02-20-2006, 05:10 PM

As far as removing the radiator, I am not sure if it is required. I removed it when I did my '90 and I removed it when I did my '95. I always thought you had to remove it, then I read where some people said that you did not have to. It sure made it easy to work in there with the radiator out. Also, it was very easy to remove once the shroud was removed. Plus I replaced the top and bottom hoses and back flushed the radiator with a hose.

The NGK Laser - Double Platinum are good for 60k miles. The Iridium are supposed to be good for 105k. (NGK makes two different models of Iridium plugs, the cheap ones are only good for 30k I believe)

Old 02-21-2006, 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Winshawn

As far as removing the radiator, I am not sure if it is required. I removed it when I did my '90 and I removed it when I did my '95. I always thought you had to remove it, then I read where some people said that you did not have to.
I can guarantee you it's not required although it may make it a little easier to access everything if you remove it. My brother in law and I did mine in a few hours without removing the radiator. If you were to ask my opinion, I'd keep the radiator in place as it's a bigger pain to remove it than it is to deal with it in place.

As for the plugs, I'd definitely recommend the expensive, longer lasting Iridium plugs... unless you enjoy removing your intake manifold assembly!

HTH.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:34 AM

Does anyone have an idea of labor cost for a new AC Compressor and clutch I have 2002 Montero LS with 80,000 miles and the AC clutch just went out. What is a round about cost that I should be looking at? Please help.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:45 AM

your location might be helpful. If you live in an inexpensive area, labor will be alot cheaper than in a high cost of living area.

Quick Reply: Labor cost question